Thread: It's like riding a bicycle, right?

Default It's like riding a bicycle, right?

Soooooo..... many many moons ago, I got a nifty little 60 GB SSD for my Boot Volume, having moved my users to a "roomy" (as Hannibal Lector might say... LOL) 4 TB HD from Seagate.

Now that I'm running OS 10.11, I'm down to about 33% free space left on the boot volume, and thinking maybe it's time to get a bigger one.

I used to have printed instructions for what to do when setting this up.... boot and users on separate volumes.... but the thing is..... having a moved Users folder onto another volume works so flawlessly, I truly forget the steps involved whenever it's time to migrate something to a new drive.

Once I clone my current boot volume to the new one...... I just have to point the Boot volume to the Users volume.... right? And do I still have to log in as the root user to do that?

Does this also involve making another "symbolic link" (I remember that used to be a step....)

I know I should remember all this, but....... eh.... haven't done it in a while. I know it's not complicated..... but if anyone can post a quick blow by blow run down, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks for your help, as always!

30% free space on a SSD is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane View Post
    30% free space on a SSD is just fine.
    Oh okay. I thought I had remembered reading (probably on this forum, no doubt) that when it comes to free space, that 20 to 30% is about all the farther you wanna go.

Truth be told, I have other things I can spend my money on right now, so.... I'll just put it off to another day. Besides.... since it's working flawlessly, really hate to change it!!! LOL

You did hear that, but it was for those spinning disk Hard Drives. SSD a whole different thing.

Oh! Good to know! Thank you!

I disagree with the less than 30% free space on an SSD - especially as the boot volume. The boot volume is also used for swap space, it get lots of activity that is unseen by the user. Letting it get full up can and will trash the volume headers.

If you copy the drive you are using as a boot volume, to another drive, it will copy your user links as well. No need to redo them. Just use a cloning software and boot to the new drive. All done already.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Rick's observation about keeping free space above 30% + on boot SSD makes sense. I have been doing this all the time, based on intuition. But now Rick told me good reasons for it.

I happily defer, that's just what I'd read somewhere and presumed it true. Never really questioned it before, but definitely for video and photos. I also have a 1TB that's only half full after 7 years.

Thanks for learning me something Ricks!

Appreciate the info! Thank you!!!