Thread: Zero out drives with Disk Utility?

Default Zero out drives with Disk Utility?

Hello MacGurus Team:

I've been zeroing out brand new conventional (spinning) hard drives with Disk Utility before putting them to use in the studio. Rick recommended this years ago. Is this advice still valid in 2018? Thanks in advance for input.

(I'm typing this while waiting forever for DU to zero-out two new 6TB drives...)

Best,

NReichman

What's the connection type? I have heard recent mention that when two of some model 6TB and 8TB drives are connected on the 2 drive USB3 board the speeds appear to drop to 20-30 MB/sec instead of 150-180 MB/sec. Not sure what the issue is yet.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I'm using my Burly (which by the way has lasted me three generations of Mac Pro, thank you!), eSATA card in a PCIe expansion chassis to Thunderbolt. The drives are Seagate Enterprise. Back of the envelope calculation suggests that 6TB at 150MB/sec should be about 11 hours. But the High Sierra version of Disk Utility will either initialize the drive instantly, or write over the whole drive twice. There is no single-time write like there used to be. I'm coming up on 18 hours, and they're almost done, so maybe 22 hours is an accurate estimate.

Surely is a lot of zeros. I have yet to do a zero in 10.13. I use a zero as a great little hardware test... but it does get tedious with huge drives we get today. I suspect it will make you feel better having the Seagate's pass said test. BTW< let me know if those particular drives are noisy, humming and buzzing, when NOT being actively accessed. Had issues with that a bit last year. Interested to know if they have changed the firmware functions since then.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

BTW< let me know if those particular drives are noisy, humming and buzzing, when NOT being actively accessed. Had issues with that a bit last year. Interested to know if they have changed the firmware functions since then.
    Since I have a long Thunderbolt cable going into my basement where all my noisy hard drives are, I may never know Rick! The ST6000NM0024's are pretty quiet, but these are ST6000NM0235's.

While I have your attention, I am disappointed that the Icy Dock EZ tray single slot USB enclosures were discontinued. They were great. Fast and silent! I would love a Thunderbolt 2 or USB 3 single slot 3.5" enclosure without a fan. Do you have something?

While not a single, the NT2 2 drive enclosures fits everything you mention. Great for that task. The fan is switched. I run mine with the fan on to make sure temps are where I want em.

Video on it
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin