Thread: Monitors for Today's Macs

Default Monitors for Today's Macs

Greetings All! I have been thinking about getting a MacBookPro for a while now. If I wanted to hook up a monitor with similar attributes as the MacBookPro. I notice in the Apple store they have monitors that are LGs (or Samsung) connected to Mac Pros or Minis. Will the MBP have the ability to run a larger (27") monitor? Or can the MBP even have an external monitor?

It all depends on connector types/resolutions but generally yes the MBP should have no problem driving a large display alongside the stock screen. FI my mid 2015 RMBP drives my Dell 27" display at 2560 x 1440 just fine with a single cable connected to the TB or HDMI port.

Things get a bit more involved if you want to do 4-5K, but it's generally doable as long as the GPU has the horsepower.

MacGurus has a current model 15 inch MBP with the fancy AMD Radeon Pro 560 Graphics card. That card is strictly for external displays and it SMOKES! The built in display runs off Intel graphics. The Radeon Pro lets us attach TWO more displays. First time I fired it up with a couple 23 inch Apple Cinema displays I was dazzled. This gave me 3 total extended space.And when you unhook from the external displays everything seamlessly drops into a single display. Hook back up, and voila, back to real estate.

When we bought the MBP it was the first Mac with Thunderbolt3, which we needed for testing. I found that the cheapest way to effectively run either DVI or HDMI monitors on Thunderbolt3 was to get really inexpensive USB TypeC to HDMI or DVI adapters, not the much more expensive Thunderbolt3 to HDMI or DVI adapters. I think I paid like $13 a piece for Cable Matters Type C to DVI adapters that have been perfect for the last year plus. I also bought a TypeC to HDMI adapter that I use when hooking to a presentation display or a TV.

I could not be more impressed with the display capabilities of the current MBP. It will run one or two 27" no problemo.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks for the feedback. I was considering going 4k, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cost. Seems the MBP could be a workstation all unto itself, impressive machines for their size. I just looked up the specs and dang you can hook up to 4 monitors to that little thing. Amazing.