Thread: Safari Security Settings Block Java: Try Temporary Unsafe Mode for site

Cool Safari Security Settings Block Java: Try Temporary Unsafe Mode for site

My wife in on an insulin pump. Until Mozilla eliminated Java Support this year I was using Firefox to link the data from the pump to Medtonicdiabetes.com to upload the pump history. Once I could not longer use Firefox I returned to Safari 10 but because Safari continually "Kicked the upload out" because of "Security settings in your browser". REGARDLESS of selecting the option for Safari to always allow JavaScript for the site the kick out continued. Then I went old school and I was able to upload by using developer "User Agent" and mimic Windows 7; Explorer 11. Tonight is the first I have tried to upload In Safari 11.0.1 and found the host will not allow the mimic and gives me a message that "Browser is not supported Mac OS 10.11.6". After reading the website's troubleshooting for Safari "unsafe mode" was suggested and "Playing around" in Safari some I discovered pressing the option Key allowed me to run Java in unsafe mode for that site in the settings drop down. Is there a possibility something amiss with the security on this website that Safari reads as a threat even though I have Safari Security set in Web Content to "Enable JavaScript" and the plug-in for the site "on". Upon completion of the data upload I changed the site to safe mode...The only part using JavaScript is the pump data upload because after I restored safe mode I can access all the reports for the data uploaded and download a pdf copy.
    Has JavaScript become a security intrusion risk into my Mac?
    Is this the only "workaround" for this issue?

Interesting. And there isn't a quick fix using a different browser?...... That is my normal fix for almost anything. And with time, it always gets fixed and I can go back to Safari. Safari in Windows is so bad most things can't run on it. I really like it in OSX though.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Found Security "FIX"

Following up should someone else need to access a website requiring an older version of java. Did Search of apple communities for "Safari security issues with Java" Found suggestion to download Java Legacy that led to this link: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_US to back date to 2015 Java Update. Downloaded and installed. Uploads without security warning...No comment regarding turning off Java updates, but I did because as far as I know this is the only log-in I need java for.

Thanks for your Reply Ricks. That too is my usual fix: Differnt Browser or "Restart"

Now kicking myself for not thinking of that. I ALWAYS install legacy JAVA. I have a bunch of stuff that requires it. It never causes me a problem and works as it is supposed to.

Good show!

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin