Thread: Internet Service

Default Internet Service

I'm not too hopeful here but thought I try anyway. Way up North (to Alaska, go North the rush is on) in Fairbanks AK is where my more mature Brother lives. He's going to close his bicycle and cross country ski shop and this is where he has his internet service. The trouble is that when he does his cabin is far enough outside of the city that there is only dial up internet service. I have searched and found two satellite services ( Exede broadband service & HughesNet) and I don't know squat about satellite them or the service they provide. Are there any good options out there?

Do check and see if there is a wireless, radio type service available in the area. I've been running on radio since I moved MacGurus to Idaho.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Yep. He wants to find a WISP.

Not unlike your local short range wifi, but point-to-point (instead of omnidirectional), usually line-of-site.

The basic idea is that from a location with great wired internet, you can beam (wirelessly) the signal many miles, and share that with remote locations without wired options. Popular in rural areas that are not too far from good wired internet connections (typically fiber or cable). Here is an example company.

Hopefully there is a company in the area.

If not....

If the cabin has line-of-sight to a location within about 15 miles that does have good wired internet, not too hard to setup up a wireless bridge connection with something like this....if you can find a neighbor that is willing to sell some of their internet.

Or, if there are multiple cabins/houses/businesses that need this in the same area and there is no WISP, he can start his own WISP company...if he needs a new challenge.
    Last edited by unclemac; 11-17-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I knew you guys would know the answer. Totally awesome dudes. (sorry couldn't help it) I found one, a little pricy but if you don't care about speed and I don't think they do, it's $40 a month for 1 Mbps.

Thanks