Thread: Re-paste CPU heatsink on Mac Pro early 08

Default Re-paste CPU heatsink on Mac Pro early 08

Greetings,

I just opened up my Mac Pro (Early 2008) for the first time in aeons, to install an SSD, only to discover that a heat sink on had fallen off! [EDIT: In the title I referred to the chip as the CPU, but it is apparently something else.] Who knows how long ago this happened, or how it is that my machine has continued to perform without it? At any rate, I was able to remove the residue of what was either thermal tape or a perfect, machine-applied layer of thermal paste, from both the heat sink and the die. I have two questions:

1. Will something like Arctic Silver 5 do the job? The heat sink seems fairly heavy.

2. What is the purpose of the metal clip-looking things on either side of the heat sink? There is nothing for them to attach to. Screenshots I've seen online just show them sticking out in opposite directions from either side. See pics below.

Thanks!
    DM

Name:  CPU.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  74.0 KB

Name:  heatsink.jpg
Size:  76.0 KB
    Last edited by doctormelodious; 10-12-2017 at 04:12 PM.
    ••Mac Pro 2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 16GB, OS X 10.6.8, 2 Acer P201W displays

I think that's the memory controller - the CPUs are under the huge aluminum heatsinks in the bottom. The clip is supposed to go into loops on the motherboard to press it down. I haven't a clue what is supposed to be between it and the chip. Arctic Silver probably as good as anything.

Name:  memcontrol.jpg
Size:  97.8 KB
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Closer pic of the clips.

Name:  memcontrol1.jpg
Size:  94.3 KB
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks for the clarification re the memory controller, ricks. What threw me at first re the clips on the heat sink is that, as I have since discovered, the top right loop had actually popped out of the logic board. Not sure if that caused the heat sink to fall, or if it was the other way around. I found the loop inside the case. Just to be on the safe side, I am taking the Mac to a guy here in town.
    ••Mac Pro 2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 16GB, OS X 10.6.8, 2 Acer P201W displays