Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Burly drive will not mount

Default Burly Drive will not mount

I've installed the new card. The external toaster is recognized and mounts on the desktop, but unfortunately the Burly does not. I've tried with individual drives in several bays, and also took the eSata cable that worked with the external toaster and plugged that into the Burly. Still no luck.

Suggestions?

Try unplug the power wire to the port multiplier board, then plug it back it. Sometimes this resets the board.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Try unplug the power wire to the port multiplier board, then plug it back it. Sometimes this resets the board.

Rick
    Sorry, but I need info on what I am looking for. I've opened the case, and can see the connections that go from the individual bays to a board just below the fan at the back. But I'm not sure what the multiplier board is, and which wire(s) to unplug.

Thanks, Rick.

The board in the Burly is the port multiplier board. Its power is four loose wires going to a white connector. That connector is pretty tight, so wrap the wires around a finger and pull straight off. Do this when the unit is powered off.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I'm attaching a picture of the wire that I pulled. I reconnected it, put the Burly back together, but the drive is not showing up. I also powered down the computer and restarted, still no luck. The picture of the Burly shows the lights that are on, if that helps.Name:  IMG_7247.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  37.7 KBName:  IMG_7248.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  40.5 KB

Scratch what I wrote first time, this is an edit.

You are using a new card. If you are testing one drive at a time, then the issue is inside the Burly. Only things that can make no drive appear are either the port multiplier board or the power supply. It is about even guess which after all the years that one has been running. If there is need for a port multiplier board, then they are very limited supply and no longer in manufacture. Power supplies are easy to get still.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Scratch what I wrote first time, this is an edit.

You are using a new card. If you are testing one drive at a time, then the issue is inside the Burly. Only things that can make no drive appear are either the port multiplier board or the power supply. It is about even guess which after all the years that one has been running. If there is need for a port multiplier board, then they are very limited supply and no longer in manufacture. Power supplies are easy to get still.
    Hi Rick,

I attached some screen shots in case they can help. If after looking at them you still think we are looking at new parts, can you give me an idea of what the cost will be? Name:  Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 4.04.59 PM.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  5.4 KBName:  Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 4.04.50 PM.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  5.0 KBName:  Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 4.04.42 PM.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  4.8 KBName:  Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 4.04.32 PM.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  5.3 KBName:  Screen Shot 2018-06-24 at 4.03.56 PM.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  8.5 KB

The card that I bought did not have any information for loading drivers, so let me know if there is something I need to do there as well.

Thanks.

I can't read any of the screenshots, too small print. I would try another port multiplier board, the one you have is ancient. I don't know if we have any, so I'll have to check in the morning. That's the most likely culprit, although if the power supply is as old as the port multiplier board, it has the years on it as well.

There are no installed drivers for that card. Runs off the built in system drivers.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

There is exactly one port multiplier left in stock. It is worth the try. Only risk is mailing it back and forth if it isn't the problem. Here's the link to purchase, if you want to try it. https://www.macgurus.com/Item/ST-172RM
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I went to the forum page to see if there was any news, and just saw your last reply (for some reason I did not get an email notification when you sent it), but the link to purchase says "Not Found."
    Is that still available?

Thanks.

Sorry about that - I made the page visible only to admins since we were totally out of them at one point. There is literally one left. Link should work now.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

The part came in, but unfortunately is not the same as the one in my Burly. See attached photos.

Next step?

Thanks.Name:  IMG_7272.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  35.6 KBName:  IMG_7273.JPG
Views: 14
Size:  88.6 KBName:  IMG_7274.JPG
Views: 13
Size:  88.8 KBName:  IMG_7275.JPG
Views: 14
Size:  87.2 KBName:  IMG_7276.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  42.4 KB

No, it is a newer SATAIII version. If you will notice, there are 5 SATA connections, a power connection, and if you want them, LED activity light connections for those little green and black wires, just like that old board. For now, pull the 5 SATA wires and plug em into the new board. Pull the power, plug it into the new board, fire it up.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Success! Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Are you still selling macs or just the peripherals? Whichever it is, when I move on to a new machine, I'll certainly buy your recommendations.

The good part of this whole thing, you just doubled the speed of your drives and made the whole thing ready to run on into the future.

MacGurus has never sold Apple products - I don't know how any reseller stays in business doing that. We always look for quality accessories, mainly storage, and support, that's what we do. I appreciate your business!

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I downloaded the CalDigit driver, installed it and restarted the computer. Unfortunately, neither the Burly or the "toaster" are mounting.

Quote Originally Posted by lerner View Post
    I downloaded the CalDigit driver, installed it and restarted the computer. Unfortunately, neither the Burly or the "toaster" are mounting.
    Need more information, Caldigit driver for what? And for what operating system?
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin