Thread: Burly drive will not mount

Default Burly drive will not mount

I am running a Burly 5 enclosure on a sonnet X4P card in a Mac Pro Early 2008, OS 10.11.6.

Today, when I turned the Burly on none of the disks mounted on my desktop. I plugged in a Voyager Q dock with a drive, and that showed up, so the Sonnet seems to be OK. I tried plugging the Burly into the same port as the Voyager had been in, and tried using the cord from the Voyager to connect the Burly. Neither helped. I also tried restarting the computer. No luck.

Any suggestions of what may be happening would be appreciate.

I don't think the X4P will run on that late of an operating system. I think it stopped working around Snow Leopard.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

It has been working without issue on this OS for quite a while, up until this morning. The only change was that I plugged in the Voyager before firing up the Burly. I can't see how that would have cause the Burly to stop mounting, but that's the only change in over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    I don't think the X4P will run on that late of an operating system. I think it stopped working around Snow Leopard.

Rick

Ok. Try one drive at a time in the Burly. If none of the individual drives will mount then it comes down to Port Multiplier board, power supply or eSATA cable in the Burly. Try a different eSATA cable, you probably have one for the Voyager that will work. That rules it out. Then it's a crap shoot on power supply or PM board. If you have a voltmeter you can pull the cover off the Burly and see if with drives attached you get 12 Volt on the yellow, 5 volt on the red wire with black being ground, at any of the spare drive connectors. Otherwise you and I can set up getting both a PM board and power supply and send back whichever you don't need.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

MacGurus has the best customer support

I tried one drive at a time, and all but one booted. I then unmounted all the drives, and put one that had mounted into the slot where the one did not boot and started the Burly. That mounted, so one issue seems to be that I have a drive that has died. I then launched the Burly with all four of the good drives, and the whole system fired up.

So is the real culprit the one dead drive, or is there anything else that might be going on here that I need to be aware of? I'm really just trying to nurse this system along until Apple releases the new Mac Pro that is in development.

Thanks for the help!

Allen

Ok. Try one drive at a time in the Burly. If none of the individual drives will mount then it comes down to Port Multiplier board, power supply or eSATA cable in the Burly. Try a different eSATA cable, you probably have one for the Voyager that will work. That rules it out. Then it's a crap shoot on power supply or PM board. If you have a voltmeter you can pull the cover off the Burly and see if with drives attached you get 12 Volt on the yellow, 5 volt on the red wire with black being ground, at any of the spare drive connectors. Otherwise you and I can set up getting both a PM board and power supply and send back whichever you don't need.

Rick

The whole reason to simplify and test individual drives is that all it takes is one failed drive to cause everything to go down. In this case, you lost a drive.

I would have to say that there is no reason to 'nurse' a Burly along. It is just as useful with a new MacPro as it is now. Swap out a board, add a Tbolt adapter and keep right on backing up or whatever. The Burly is still the only enclosures around that you can maintain and update indefinitely.

That said, there are some really nice pure Thunderbolt storage systems. Smaller quieter than the Burly. I run an Areca Thunderbolt RAID enclosure on my MacPro. The Burly was too big for my needs with the big drives of today. I will continue to run it on the new MacPro when it releases. Looking forward to it. My Burly still gets used for video projects now and then, just not a constant companion any longer.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Thanks for the insights, Rick. I do appreciate it.

Allen

The whole reason to simplify and test individual drives is that all it takes is one failed drive to cause everything to go down. In this case, you lost a drive.

I would have to say that there is no reason to 'nurse' a Burly along. It is just as useful with a new MacPro as it is now. Swap out a board, add a Tbolt adapter and keep right on backing up or whatever. The Burly is still the only enclosures around that you can maintain and update indefinitely.

That said, there are some really nice pure Thunderbolt storage systems. Smaller quieter than the Burly. I run an Areca Thunderbolt RAID enclosure on my MacPro. The Burly was too big for my needs with the big drives of today. I will continue to run it on the new MacPro when it releases. Looking forward to it. My Burly still gets used for video projects now and then, just not a constant companion any longer.

Default Burly will not mount... Again

I had a computer freeze this morning, and when I rebooted, none of the drives in the Burly appeared on the desktop. I tried mounting just one drive at a time, still no luck. Ran First Aid on the Mac HD, no issues so up. I also tried shutting down the computer and restarting, both with the Burly on at launch, and off at launch and then powered up once I logged in to the computer. No luck. Now my "toaster" that I used for a sixth drive is not showing up either, so I'm wondering if the issue is with the SATA card.

I have the Sonnet X4P, but when I went to the Sonnet site to see if I could find a driver, I was unable to locate anything.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Has to be anE4P in a MacPro, the X4P is PCI-X, last used in a G5 model Mac. Drivers are here:
    https://www.sonnettech.com/support/k...sition_content

Look in Apple System Profiler and see if drivers are loading for that card.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 4.25.33 AM.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  12.1 KB

Here's my receipt for the purchase. I'm trying to patch things up so I can keep running this machine until Apple delivers their new desktop computer. Is there another card that you can sell me that can get the Burly to work again?

Thanks.

By the way, I wasn't sure where I was to find the Sonnet in the System Information. I checked all the tabs, but didn't see that name anywhere.

Thanks.

There is no way an X4P was installed inside of a MacPro. It ONLY fit inside a G5 before the 2005 model, The 2005 G5 switched over to PCIe slots and all MacPro (Intel) towers have PCIe slots which cannot accept an X4P. So either we modified the order or you got a different card for a MacPro. What does Apple System Report say you have installed? In System Profiler it will be listed in PCI cards.
    Last edited by ricks; 06-01-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 3.53.49 AM.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  10.4 KBName:  Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 3.54.26 AM.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  10.9 KBName:  Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 3.54.37 AM.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  11.2 KB

Does this help?

Too small for me to read. What does it say?
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Looking through the orders I see you got a Lycom4e card in 2010. That card has a fan on it, so if you peek inside you can see if that is so. The Lycom card used Silicon Image 3124 chips. Silicon Image hasn't been around for a long time. The last driver they wrote was for 10.7, but worked up through Yosemite. You can get their driver still off of CalDigit site. The CalDigit FASTA 4e used the same chipset.

http://www.caldigit.com/Support/CalD...STA4_2.1.5.zip
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I opened the computer, and the board does have a silver fan on it. So I downloaded the CalDigit driver, installed it and restarted the computer. Unfortunately, neither the Burly or the "toaster" are mounting.

Do I need to get a new board from you? MacPro Early 2008, 2 x 2.8 Quad Core Intel Xeon, 22GB 800MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM. The OS is 10.11.6.

Thanks,

Allen

In PCI listing should be card called 1095,3124. Select it and it should state driver loaded yes. However, I think driver quit working after Yosemite, which is 10.10. 10.11 would break it. So yes, you need a new card.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I went back and looked at the screen shot I sent earlier, and it did say yes. After I loaded the new driver from CalDigit, the card does not show at all.

Let me know what I need to order, Rick. Thanks.

The SATAIII Lycom eSATA card.

Storage->SATA->PCIe cards.. first card on the list.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin