Thread: High Sierra

Rolleyes High Sierra

Perhaps my search skills died, but I can't find anything about High Sierra on MacGurus forms.

Well, I took the plunge and upgraded. Interesting. I use an external drive for all OS's and upgrades from Apple, and fool with them to see how they work, and whether I like them or can live with them. Well, this helped me eliminate 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, and 10.11. None were good enough to switch from my trusty old Snow Leopard. Then came Sierra's turn. Tried that. Realized that I can live with it (perhaps even learn to like it), and kept upgrading till last 10.12.6. Then High Sierra with its new file system - APFS - was announced, and I figure I want the last Sierra with HFS+. Some extra drives were then configured to 10.12.6, while the test volume for new OS's remained in play. And that's where I upgraded to High Sierra (10.12.6 to 10.13).

And, of course, ran into some problems. Turns out that many apps I use almost daily won't run. Ok, I knew that. But, some caused enugh problems to prevent boot, even in safe mode. Reintalling OS from Recovery didn't help. So, I had to search the offending files booting from a 10.12.6 drive. Trashed many files, including everything from Little Snitch, VMfusion, and SilicanImage. That fixed things, and now it's booting nicely. Reinstalled newest version of Little Snitch, and reactivated MSoffice2011, which inspite of Microsoft's warnings, still works great with High Sierra.

The HD with HighSierra is an old fashioned SATA, external, connected via Firewire. I can't change this volume to APFS; system won't allow it. Do I have to? How can HighSierra operate on volume formatted HFS+ when it was designed for APSF??

Life is never dull
    marrand

APSF is specifically and only for Flash drives. I was worried Apple would make it easy to install on anything, but I'm glad to hear they put a destination check in place. IMHO APSF is not really ready for prime time use, but I could be proven wrong... again.

I haven't done any but the most simplistic touch on testing High Sierra. Not yet qualified to have an opinion on it.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I read someplace that APFS was meant for SSD's and such. But just couldn't believe it.
    Mine is on external old fashioned SATA and I can experiment with it; already learning that all my utilities sitting on High Sierra work nicely, but only on other HFS+ volumes in my MacPro.
    Actually, I like it. The boot is extra slow, but once there, it feels rather zippy. Internet browsing with Safari, Firefox and Chrome is a pleasure.
    When eventually I have it installed on SSD, I expect even faster performance.