Thread: iCloud, iPhotos, iEtc.

Default iCloud, iPhotos, iEtc.

Not exactly a new user, but thought this the best place.

I'm thinking of sticking my photos onto iCloud (rather than DropBox, which is fine but getting expensive).

How do you ACCESS a photo from your iCloud storage? All the Googling I do seems to suggest that it only works through iPhoto (which I don't use). On DropBox, you just go to the website, and there is a list of all your pics, as they are in your desktop folder.

Any icloud experts here?

Ta.

Allen. (MacMini, el Capitan, etc)

Later:

I really must stop answering my own questions. I Googled further, and 'discovered' that going to www.icloud.com and putting in my password etc gives me access to everything I've ever inadvertently put on iCloud.

So, dumber and dumber, I'm off.

Any other comments welcomed (and probably deserved).

A

Never use any cloud storage at all. I want responsibility and control of my data. Doesn't belong at Apple or Amazon or wherever the heck they decide to stick it.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Point taken, ricks.

It was only really for sharing, which again is only for the odd few pics, so I'll stick to Dropbox - like you, all my data is on my hard drive(s), and I only upload to Dropbox anything I specifically want to share.

I wonder if there is any good use for iCloud?

A

I know a lot of people who depend on the automation of cloud syncs to both maintain backups and maintain access to data across their devices. My issue is it is done without your control or knowledge of when and why it works. If it one day goes missing, whose fault would it be?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Yes indeed.

The kiddies seem perfectly happy to abandon all control over their devices and data, with the inevitable bad results. (I do have a Facebook page, but apart from my name, everything else on it is a lie!)

A