Thread: Panther kernel panic after installing ATTO PSC SCSI controller

Default Panther kernel panic after installing ATTO PSC SCSI controller

I just installed an ATO PSC SCSI controller card that purchased from the Ebay Computer Trade Exchange store. It is supposed to be compatible with OS 10.3 and OS 9. I downloaded the available drivers and firmware from atto.com. Going through the documentation I learned the card should be plug-and-play in most cases, and I did not find any indication I needed to install any software prior to installing the card but my Power Mac G4 (model M8570) crashes immediately after I power it up. I tried installing it in all 4 slots available; same result. I have no way of knowing what version of firmware it came with, but obviously, that is irrelevant at this point. I am by no means an expert, but I'd say I am not a rookie either; I will get it if you get a bit technical. Could anyone please help me out figuring what is going wrong?

Only thing I can think of beyond an Open Firmware reset of the G4 would be to remove any and all ATTO drivers from your system and try to boot with it. Been 12-15 years since I spent any time with any narrow SCSI cards.

RIck
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

That is a question of years gone by. You might try doing a search on the site here for "ATTO SCSI". There might be another MacGuru who will enlighten us.

Thanks for the quick response, Rick and Yeungfeng! Know I was pushing my luck asking about SCSI on a 15-year old G4, but I had to try!
    I will continue to dig deeper... If I manage to fix this, I will post the solution for others with a penchant for giving old macs a second life (I have 4 of them).