Thread: n't get Imac g4 working, multiple problems

Default n't get Imac g4 working, multiple problems

I'm going out of my mind trying to fix g4 imac and I've been working on computers for 25 years. It wont boot up right in any way. I have put a new hard drive and motherboard battery in it, cleaned it and checked everything. i have reset PMU. The computer will start and make chime then black screen. Sometimes screen comes on. The imac has no system on it, and it will not look for CD if system cd is in it, but most of the time I cannot get cd drive to open on boot up, basically it is freaking out every way there is. Any ideas? The computer is pretty much chiming, then blank screen, will not open cd tray on startup. Ram has been re seated its been cleaned, and connections checked. So I have a screen that comes on rarely, a cd drive that opens on startup rarely, imac will not boot from correct system cd if I get one it in it. Multiple unrelated problems. Last time I saw this on a mac was twenty years ago working in IT and I finally found a small paper clip lodged under motherboard of a Power Mac. I'm lost at this point, I don't know what to try next.

Might try an Open Firmware reset. Hold the Command+Option+O+F keys during startup. Should come to a command line screen. At the '>' cursor type:

>reset-nvram
    Hit Return

>set-defaults
    Hit Return

>reset-all
    Hit Return and your computer will restart.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

tried it but can't see anything monitor won't come on 95% of the time oh I wish I could fix this

Keep trying, see if you can get the monitor up for that 5%. Booting into Open Firmware is based on motherboard stored firmware, has nothing to do with operating system. If you cannot boot to Open Firmware than you are never going to get to an OS boot.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I'll keep try I'm afraid this computer may be unfixable, I just can't understand why it it has so many different problems at once. I wonder if I have a bad ram stick

Sure it could be RAM. Take half of it out, try to boot. No boot, swap it, try to boot.

There are a ton of other things, could be as simple as a bad graphics card.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I can't get screen to come on I think I'll start pulling ram and check cards again and then see what happens.

Well I just can't get monitor to come on or cd tray to open on start up. Is there any other ideas? Imac chimes, but black screen. Screen has come on before though. Maybe I should try a used graphics card for it but I don't want to spend money and have it not work

On some of the vintage Macs, holding down the mouse (left click) on start up will force the CD tray to open.

Will it boot to Target Disk Mode? Hold down the T key while booting.

If you can....then at least it could be possible to install or clone an OS if you have another vintage Mac around.

Another option would be an external CD/DVD drive. Bypass the internal.

If you replaced the logic board, the GPU would be on it...so it has been replaced too (as I recall). Wonder if the cable between the panel and LB is damaged...that runs up through the neck. Never looked at one of those.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin