Thread: Duplicate IP on Airport and Duplicate Name for Two MacBook Mid 2010

Default Duplicate IP on Airport and Duplicate Name for Two MacBook Mid 2010

I have two MacBook Mid 2010 both running OS 10.11.6 on a Airport Extreme WiFi DHCP NAT network. I have one by my recliner I use for internet named Woody's MacBook. The other I keep on my desk in my office named Woody Owenby's MacBook I keep connected while home but I remove from the network to record at sermons at church. Starting three weeks ago after church came home and put the Woody Owenby's MacBook back on the network and received a message that the IP is being used by another computer. When I looked at the IP address on both it was the same. I searched Apple Communities and reading a suggestion Restart the Airport would reassign IP addresses. That corrected IP addresses. The past two Sundays there has been no problem. Someone stayed with us two nights ago so I closed down the MacBook next to my recliner (Woody's MacBook) to get it off the side table. This morning I received the IP is being used by another computer when I put it started it up and put it back on the network. I restarted the Airport again and that reassigned IP addresses. I don't know if I overlooked it in Airport Utility during the first IP message, but when I checked the Utility this morning Both MacBooks are showing on the Network as Woody Owenby's MacBook and Woody Owenby's MacBook(2). I had my Original MacBook named Woody's MacBook so when I purchased the second MacBook I named it Woody Owenby's MacBook thinking that would eliminate any confusion...The second MacBook was restored to Factory settings before I bought it. Am I correct that when I entered my name and information in set up, both Became Woody Owenby's MacBook so in reality only the start up drive is named Woody's MacBook & Woody Owenby's MacBook? (Note: According to my ISP the reason the WiFi is set up DHCP NAT is to allow their wireless radio antenna acts as a gateway to the ISP servers.) Is there a fix to get rid of the Duplicate name on the network?
    I Know this is long. Please see attachments.Name:  Woody's MacBook Ser No. W8031JYNF5W OS 10.11.6.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  15.4 KBName:  Woody Owenby's MacBook (2) IP 10.0.1.11.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  6.6 KBName:  Woody Owenby's MacBook IP 10.0.1.17.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  5.8 KBName:  Woody Owenby's MacBook Ser No. 45127377F5X OS 10.11.6 .jpg
Views: 20
Size:  19.8 KBName:  Airport Utility Screen Shot.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  10.2 KB

I wonder if just assigning fixed IPs to the Macbooks would resolve this. All our workstations are fixed IPs. We used to hard code them by listing them in every computer's /etc/hosts files as well as setting them in network preferences by taking it out of DHCP and manually configuring. I stopped doing the /etc/hosts and now just manually configure in Network Settings any computer except the laptops, which I leave DHCP so I'm not constantly changing setting when I leave the office or house. I configure the routers to have narrow range of DHCP numbers available so they don't give out different ones all the time and run out of memory space keeping track of the stacks of old unused IPs. I also configure the routers to have narrow range of accepted fixed IPs. We do that for the same reason plus prevents outsiders from easily finding available log-able IPs.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Confused Thanks

I'm confused and I need clarification. [Other computers on the WiFi are My Wife's MacBook Air Mid 2012, An iMac Mid 2012 (Both El Capitan), an iBook G4 Power PC G$ 10.4.11 I use to run an OS9 Version of Photoshop Deluxe and two ePrint Printers]: You said "I wonder if just assigning fixed IPs to the Macbooks would resolve this. All our workstations are fixed IPs." Then went on to say: "I stopped doing the /etc/hosts and now just manually configure in Network Settings any computer except the laptops, which I leave DHCP so I'm not constantly changing setting when I leave the office or house." Are you suggesting Fixed IPs for those devices Never taken off the network or assign static IP's to the MacBooks?

The problem you have appears to be router related. I only related what I do with our system and why. You didn't state how many computers you had on the network, only that there were problems with the Macbooks. Since it is so easy to assign a fixed IP, try it. Everything can have a fixed IP, but any computer you take out to other locations and want to connect to a DHCP router will need to be reconfigured. Oh well, such is life. I used to do that everywhere I took my MBP outside the office - I created a new DHCP profile every time I hooked to an outside router. Small PITA, but more secure. I then deleted that profile if I wouldn't be returning, or left it in place for hotels or convention centers that I would be back to. Those DHCP profiles aren't accessible unless selected and applied, so they are safe to keep.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up Ok!!

More info is better....I will try fixed IP's.

Thanks so Much

Default Fyi

I started a reply earlier but lost Internet connection. I intended to respond sooner, but at 71, sometimes intentions are not timely. Even after assigning static IP address the message continued. As I "Researched" further, and this is one of those, "found by accident", I noticed that even though the Names of the Hard drives were different and the Local Host names were the same in System Preferences. After changing the Local Hosts Names to Match the Hard Drive Names the message has not recurred and that was early June.

Everyone have a HAPPY 4th, and thanks for all the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well, isn't that interesting. Thanks.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin