Thread: Macbook Pro 2008/09 with Bootcamp Dilema

Default Macbook Pro 2008/09 with Bootcamp Dilema

Hello guys.

I am having a real headache trying to figure out what to do so I though I would try n gather some info/advice from you guys.

I currently have an old macbook pro (2008/9) running Mavericks and windows xp on bootcamp. I have precious programs which I no longer have the installaton discs etc for on the XP partition. Whats causing me the headache is how do I keep the usable windows (bootcamp) partition when my macbook hd or some other vital part fails and im forced to buy a new MBP.. I have looked into Carbon copy cloner but that is only useable if im installing back into a similar aged macbook. Winclone for backing up and reinstalling the bootcamp partition has compatability issues with my setup due to the age and new macbooks apparently only support windows 10. I also want to be able to backup and transfer my programs etc from my mac partition to my new mackbook when i get it.

so what are my other options?.... Please help, im losing sleep over this.

I have been there. As far as I know, there is no direct route to continuing to use XP on a Mac. Apple does not write drivers that will support older operating systems in bootcamp. About all you can do is buy an older MacPro or iMac that does support XP and keep a copy on it for safe keeping. Either that or learn to hack the Apple boot code to unblock a new Mac from XP. Even for me that was a step to far to keep from having to purchase Windows again. Besides, you would be putting up with incomplete drivers and limited usability.

XP is officially 16 years old. At some point a third party, in this case Apple, has to cut their loses and stop supporting it. In my opinion your only realistic choice on maintaining an XP volume is to get another older Mac that has the legs to last for more years, like an older Macpro, and keep a copy on it.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Cheers for the reply pal. I have thought about buying a new hdd to replace the current one which should extend the life of my old mbp a bit.

I have read About parallels being an option..... what do u think? If using xp virtually is all i can do on a new mac then that's what i might have to do. Any one used it for music production?

I totally agree with Ricks. I had all my notes from school on a relational data base in OS6, a hundred hours of labor to input. The program wouldn't work OS7 and I stayed with OS6. Then the internet happened and I needed accounting software, so a new MacG3 and OS8. I purchased a screaming hot MacIIci for $35. New they were about $3500. Still have it. When tax software required OS10, I had to drop OS9. But I had this great software for page layout and all the years of stuff that I created. So I bought a use QuickSilver dual 1Ghtz.

There's obsolescence in the cycles of computers and OS's, even the change up from OS10.6.8 doesn't have Rosetta to allow the use of older OS10 software. If it's something you really want to keep, get something that is durable and will last. Oh, like a older MacPro. Is there an echo in here?

Good Luck!