Thread: Vpn

Default Vpn

With the changes in net neutrality seeming to be in the works, I'm wondering is someone is in the know about VPNs? I've done some googling on the topic and it seems rather daunting. Any perspectives or hints?

VPNs are tricky, from the privacy and web history perspective.

Be wary of free VPNs...because even if they hide web history from an ISP, THEY still may have your history. And they may sell it.

Check out Epic, which is a security minded browser, and includes a nice proxy/VPN option. Seems to work well, and should maker it much harder for ISPs or anybody else to track everything we do....another quick review here.
    Last edited by unclemac; 04-19-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Boy you aren't exaggerating at all. I checked out the links and google some more and found this, it's dated. http://www.privacydusk.com/windows-p...ws-data-leaks/ I can't gauge either of the positions, also is this just for windows?

You can purchase services too. Surprisingly there are no +A serves and outside the country is optimal, especially if you are in, say, China. This list is a good place to start? https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-review-badge-chart/

Apple has a way but if I understand it, you have to have a dedicated Mac for the VPN. I need to followup on that.

I knew you'd have something, thanks.

Yeah, you can run a VPN Server via MacOS Server....but that really fills the traditional VPN role:

VPN Server as an appliance (think LAN router) that allows specific devices to connect to the local office LAN from remote locations over the internet, with the same security and functionality as all the machines that are INSIDE the firewall (the locally attached boxes). To connect, one needs a VPN Client app on the device and the contact information of the VPN Server configuration. Once connected, it is very difficult for anybody to snoop on the conversation/data transfer between the Server (network) and the Client (remote device).

Many SOHO routers can do this too, which is cheaper and easier to manage in the long run.

Too much overhead, setup, and complexity IMHO to simply maintain browsing privacy from your ISP. Not eve sure it would....they would still have all the info from all machines inside the network via your IP address that they provide (and I would expect that may include the remotely connected via VPN machines too), even if they can't tell exactly which machine is which. Seems like a proxy server would be the most useful and effective. But I don't want to run my own either; a paid proxy would be most convenient and cost effective...if you can find one to trust.

For web privacy, I would stick with something that has a VPN and/or proxy server somewhere else, that one does not own, and that does not log enough info to connect history with specific machines.

FWIW, I have started using Epic, and I like it. It hiccups once in a while, but nothing serious. If I use the VPN option, and check my external IP (whatismyip.com), my IP address appears to be the New York area.....not CA. So, it certainly will make it harder to associate browsing history with my machine, my address, me, or anybody in my house.

For anybody wanting to prevent ISP snooping, data collection, and data selling, Epic or Tor may be enough. At least a good first step. For anybody that is a political dissident trying to dodge a repressive government....I would want a more robust and verifiable way to stay anonymous, because state players are always trying hard to see inside. And like most things security, it may be a constant arms race.

The good news is—at least so far—if all we are looking for is protection from targeted ads, or other non-criminal things (like medical history privacy), we have little worry about from Big Brother.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Oh, and as for the Epic review (seems good overall), I suspect that the two flaws are likely global, not Win specific.

The good news is, both would require physical access or remote intrusion gaining full admin control of the machine for somebody to exploit them.

Neither are of any concern to me....since I only care about ISP building a sellable history of what they see go by on their network. Again, If I were concerned that the NSA was gonna bust down my door at some point....then yeah, would be nervous about physical access and what Epic left on my device.

Cool Awesome

I knew you'd have the skinny on this. Great information. My real concern is the ISP selling my information, that's where I worry, who's buying it? I see google follows me and sends me ads from sites I've been to, very disconcerting. I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before ISPs will be mining data. Once the road opens the pressure to make money will be just too much to stay away from the cash cow. Easy money. It's always about money.

As I was thinking and reading about VPNs I was made aware of the plight of people where the governments are watching their every movement and an external VPN could save your life. I'm keeping my fingers crossed Epic is all I ever need.

Thanks for the enlightenment UncleMacGuru.