Thread: Confirm How to Replace HD That Houses My OS

Default Confirm How to Replace HD That Houses My OS

Hi,

I would like to confirm, before I replace the HD currently housing my OS (10.11.6), that I am about to do it correctly. I have created an external bootable HD and am now running my Mac Pro on it. I was going to reformat the old drive currently housing my OS, replace it with the new HD, and then clone my bootable HD onto the newly installed HD using SuperDuper. But I read an article that suggested I install a fresh copy of OS X onto the new drive and then use Migration Assistant to migrate my data to the new drive. Which would you recommend? I'm installing a 3TB drive: partition suggestions? I want to maximize my machine's performance because I use Lightroom and Photoshop extensively, and about to get into Premier Pro.

Thank you,
    Robert

Name:  Screenshot 2017-03-19 13.33.58.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  16.2 KB

Personally I like to have a third backup not connected in case things go sideways.

Migration Assistant has mostly worked fine for me.

If you really want to optimize performance you should consider installing your OS on a SSD, and using a striped RAID for working with large files. Rick has some guides here that explain how to do this, and proper backup strategies.

I second that! Never used a RAID setup, not doing anything photo. But the SSD really makes things zippier.

Default Will Try an SSD

Thanks guys. I'll get an SSD. I did some reading at it seems like the way to go.