Thread: SSD. Why can't I have FileVault?

Default SSD. Why can't I have FileVault?

Hello all.

Running an SSD on my MacMini, which makes it very quick, but just come across a drawback.

Went to turn on FileVault, and it won't go. Says I should reformat on a different disk (by which I assume it means a HDD).

Any way round this?

Thanks.

Allen.

I doubt it's the physical format that's the problem more likely the partition map/file system type.

Thanks M.Brane.

The message I get is:

Some disk formats don't support the recovery partition required by encryption. To use encryption, reinstall this version of OS X on a reformatted disk.

Does that tie in with your comments? Any recommendation as to how I should reformat my SSD? I don't recall doing anything unusual when I set it up!

Ta.

Allen.

It would help if it told you what format it needs!

How is it currently formatted?

I think you need to have a backup of your SSD on an external drive. Boot from the external drive and the reinstall the OS onto the SSD. During setup you will find out if you can use file vault, probably yes. Do you have a factory Apple SSD? Then yes. Some other brand maybe not. You could check the manufacturing web site and check the specs.

Is you SSD partitioned? Another known issue. Have you read the page on FileVault from Apple https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25553...ewlocale=en_US. I only point this out because they have that warning about passwords. Turn it on and then go get a safety deposit box for the password. So if you get run over by a dump truck say, then your dearly beloveds will eventually get into you computer and find your gems. That could or could not be a good thing. Or you could pay extra attention to dump trucks.

I'll bet there will be some really smart fellers (dislexics untie) will come along here and enlighten us.

I think the information is contained in this lot:

Available: 641.96 GB (641,960,767,488 bytes)
    Capacity: 959.34 GB (959,337,365,504 bytes)
    Mount Point: /
    File System: Journaled HFS+
    Writable: Yes
    Ignore Ownership: No
    BSD Name: disk0s2
    Volume UUID: 5101EF31-83F2-3889-A1E3-D66D5AA0A2F2
    Physical Drive:
    Device Name: CT960BX200SSD1
    Media Name: CT960BX200SSD1 Media
    Medium Type: SSD
    Protocol: SATA
    Internal: Yes
    Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
    S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

If what you are asking for isn't there, can you tell me how to find out? When I format drives, I always use OS X Extended (Journalled) - not because I understand it, just because I always have (dumb, I know...)

Sorry for the lack of knowledge.

A.

Is there a recovery or Boot Camp partition present? The lack of the former or presence of the latter can prevent encryption.

Good point Brane. It seems there are so many little bits and pieces and as we mature they become slightly more difficult to recall. Actually it's that there are just so many things. If you don't use it you let it go.

billybobski go to the Apple and select about this Mac. Then select system Report. Go down the page to SATA/SATA Express. That will show you what you have under the hood.

Well, I made 2 back ups (I know, but no harm in caution).

Wiped my SSD, easy.

Went to restore, wouldn't restore (on Disk Utility). I'd used SuperDuper for the back ups, so currently running a Restore all files from SuperD instead.

Slow, but ticking along, so I'll come back to it later and see how it's done.

No partitions, no boot camps, nothing out of the ordinary. Chose my usual format, ie Mac OS Extended Journaled.

Fingers crossed. I'll report back later. (Wonder why DU restore wouldn't run. Is it SSD again?)

A

The lack of a recovery partition is likely the issue. You may need to do a clean install of the OS then transfer your apps & user data from your backup.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind in the morning (evening now in UK). If FileVault DOES run this time, I know it might take a long time, so I won't do it till tomorrow.

Switching back to this main hard disc as StartUp took longer than it should - System Preferences locked up, etc., then once I had changed start up disc, booting took longer than before. Maybe it's just all settling down!

Anyway, if it does all go pear-shaped in the morning, I'll do what you suggest, and re-wipe, re-install OS, then re-copy all the data files.

Thanks for the tip.

I'll let you know the result (bet you can't wait...)

Allen.

Plan B. I think it must be the make of drive, which was as I recall a Toshiba. Fitted by a reputable company, but I assume they chose the Toshiba SSD because it was much less expensive than the Apple version.

Anyway, after wiping, reinstalling OS X, restoring all data from SuperDuper, etc., tried starting FileVault again, and same message as before, i.e. couldn't run it on this hard drive.

Do I want FileVault? Well, I did three days ago, but now I'm seeing advantages in not having it!

I suppose if the disc is well encrypted with a good strong password, the odds on someone (who the heck would want my data anyway?) getting it off my machine is fairly minimal.

So, thanks for your advice, but I've had enough now, so I'm going to abandon FileVault...

Unless anyone wants to convince me otherwise?

Allen

When you look at the drive in DU is there a recovery partition present?

Can't see any such reference on Disk Utility. Not 100% sure where I'd find it, so can you point me in the right direction?

If I Command/I, then it DOES list '2 partitions', which is odd, as when I reformatted the disc I certainly did not partition it. Do SSDs come with a sort of 'built-in' partition on manufacture?

Ta.

A

In DU in the list of drives/volumes on the left it should show 2 volumes under the drive itself. One is the volume your normal system is on. The other should be Mac OS recovery. If you only have your normal system volume that is the problem.

Yup, that's the problem.

Came across this comprehensive article telling how to create a new Recovery Partition:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac...-free-3636717/

It's quite complicated, and would probably need doing as installing El Capitan doesn't produce a Recovery volume, just the usual.

I use the proper App Stores download for El Capitan, so again, wonder whether the type of SSD is the root of the problem.

Coming to the conclusion that trying to get FileVault isn't worth much more effort (in part as current eyesight problem means I'm half-blind and can't see the screen too well!), so I think I'll work on different routes for heightened security.

Thanks anyway for helping.

A

FYI: The new Apple File System that will replace HFS+ that is coming later this year (likely with the next OS: 10.13) will no longer use File Vault; it will instead have a different disk encryption system.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Yup, the new file system will change everything over. One more time into the breach.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks UNCLE mac, Ricks. That new OS looks good, and I look forward to it.