Thread: Mac mini disconnecting with iMac

Confused Mac mini disconnecting with iMac

I have an iMac OSX 10.8 and a mac mini that is connected to each other with an ethernet cable.
    I had no problems with the connection until recently I had to move my set up so I had to unplug and replug everything.

At first, it connects fine but I load something on the mac mini (instrument drive through a program I used regularly on the mac mini) and the mac mini freezes in the middle and I lose connection with it. I can't disconnect or connect back to the mini from my iMac. It shows on the Shared device tab in the finder but clicking it doesn't do anything. I forced turned off the mac mini and started it again but still nothing....

I'm not sure what the problem is... does it have to do with IP address?
    but why would it work and then not work...?
    if anyone knows, please help!! desperately need your help! Dx

Might try a different CAT5 cable. Could be disconnecting.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Seems like it could be a network issue.....like a bad cable as mentioned. Try a different cable, unplug and re plug each end, and reboot both machines.

Are you connecting for screen viewing, file sharing, or something else?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin