Thread: 2012 MBP - Kernel Panic - Can't find cause!

Default 2012 MBP - Kernel Panic - Can't find cause!

Hey folks! One of my clients has a 2012 Macbook Pro, not sure of the OS. It is having a Kernel Panic on boot every time. Tried new RAM, new HDD with clean install, it is continuing to happen. If I post a photo will that help?

Name:  kernelP.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  96.9 KB

Thanks in advance!

Good first steps.

1. I once saw a machine MBP with a bad RAM slot. If any RAM was in the bad slot, KP. Sometimes KP during boot, sometimes it would boot and run a few minutes....then KP. Might try pulling one stick, test, and then the repeat with second slot.

2. Any chance the all the RAM is bad, or wrong for this machine?

3. Nothing else plugged in.....USB or anything else?

4. Will it boot to an external HD, or Network Recovery Mode? There were some MBP models that had bad/easily damaged SATA cables. Would hang or KP on boot as I recall.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Another one is the keyboard. Might have to go in and disconnect built in keyboard and try booting with an external.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Hooray!

Ok! Fixed it! There was a burnt up chip somewhere underneath or near the USBs. We put this thing under a microscope and examined it to find it. Replaced that chip and the non-functional power rail (# 5 I believe) and the thing is working great now. Thanks to those of you who tried to help.

Now that is pretty cool. Surprised more chips don't fry with the type of heat generated these days. Glad you could locate it.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Nice job on finding USB issue

I have an old G5 2005 iMac a lady I worked with nearly 20 years brought to me and it will not do anything, anymore no boot. nada no power

A few years back put new HD RAM anbd it's kept her going... I don't even know if I'll bother this round... it's time she got a new Mac mini.

Lucky you have the resources at hand to checkóand repairólogic board solder/components. Not many folks do, and fixable machines go in the bin.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin