Thread: How can I find 'hidden' files?

Default How can I find 'hidden' files?

A couple of odd files have popped up on my Quark 'open a recent project' list, neither of them of my doing.

One is called 'link'
    One is called 'ls'

I can't open either of them - each says 'project is locked' and then 'cannot be opened by this version of QuarkXpress' (mine is almost the latest, Quark 11 (2015).

I'd like to find these two files and have a closer look at them (and delete them!), but using Spotlight doesn't help.

Is there a terminal-type command which would reveal their location to me?

Their arrival seems to have coincided with my printer churning out garbage (although not, curiously, from Quark files), so I shall run a full Sophos this evening to see if it picks up anything nasty.

Ta.

Allen.

Lots of ways to see what is invisible. You can use commands, or a third party tool like Onyx or Tinkertool to toggle visibility on and off quickly.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks unclemac,

That helps to some extent.

But if I show you this screenshot, it might help demonstrate the problem better:

Name:  showing files.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  35.6 KB

There are the offending files. And I can't touch them. If I try to open them, I get the messages about locked files and can't open with this version of Quark. I can't Command-I them. As soon as I click on them in the list, they just give me the locked/opening messsages.

So what I need is a way of FINDING where the files actually are. Then I can, maybe, deal with them.

They obviously exist somewhere on my Mac; I'd just like to know where, as I'm sure I'm not alone in not liking files that show up without invitation!

Allen.

Sounds like you need to search, and include hidden files in that search (not the default).

Click on the Kind (System Files in the above example) drop down in the Finder window, and scroll down to and check File Visibility.

Next, select and set the File Visibility to: Invisible (...or Visible and Invisible will show you everything)
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Sorry to keep on, unclemac, but I'm stuck... I can't find the File Visibility switch anywhere. Could you direct me please?

I've got to here, but whether I search for just link, or "link", doesn't help - still don't see that particular document file, and I can't find a pulldown for Visibility anywhere.

I've tried a few variants, like searching for 'Name' plus 'is' plus 'link', which I thought might pin it down, but it doesn't...

Name:  where invisible copy.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  38.1 KB

Thanks.

A

Hey...sorry for the lag.

You are half way there...
    1. In the pic above, click on System Files so you can see the options in the drop down list. You should have Other... (at least in 10.11) Click on that.

2. When you click Other... you should get a dialog box with lots of options. Scroll down to (...or type in search box) to find: File Visible.

3. Check the In Menu box corresponding to the File Visible option to select it.

4. Once selected, you should be taken back to the Find window, with File Visibility on the left drop down.

5. Now click on the right drop down and select Invisible Items, (or, Select Visible or Invisible to see everything).

Now you are ready to search the entire machine, with the ability to see invisible files.

No rush unclemac - it wasn't really an urgent problem, just an annoyance.

Anyway, followed your instructions and there of course was Files Visible, etc.

And my 'link' document wasn't there!

It has crept off the bottom of my 'recently opened documents' in Quark, and has now disappeared. "Find"/Files Invisible doesn't show it, trying to 'Open' in Quark doesn't find it, so that's about it. I'm not going to lose sleep, although I'm still bothered by a file/document that appears out of the blue which I can't even see, let alone deal with. Never mind, life is too short to worry about it too much.

Thanks for your help - I've learnt a few more things about Macs.

Allen.