Thread: Water Spilled on MacBook Pro

Default Water Spilled on MacBook Pro

An entire cup of water spilled across the lower half of my MacBook Pro's keyboard (MacBookPro3,1, Mid-2010) and the upper half of its trackpad. I immediately tilted the computer up, so that most of the water ran off. Then, I gently wiped it dry with a paper towel, not pressing the keys, in the hope of not pressing any water in. I then gave it a Shutdown command from the Apple Menu, and so saw that it was still running fine, but then thought the better of it, and shut it down faster by holding the power button. It has been sitting since with instant rice piled on its keyboard, to absorb any other water. Is there anything else I should do before powering it back on? Might any water have actually entered the inside? Is disassembling it necessary to assure that it dries fully?

Last one I did I took the keyboard out and put the disassembled unit out in the sun for a few hours to bake. Judging by how easy it is to kill and Apple desktop keyboard, I would be as careful as I could.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Yes, it is possible, and dare I say likely to have some water damage in this scenario.

Your quick actions surely helped, but it is a crap shoot as to what the water hit. Even with the shutdown, there is some danger, as the battery is still connected.

As for what to do....wait. Just wait for at least a day to fire it back up. And cross your fingers.

If there was damage, you'll likely find it in the first few minutes of testing. Looking at the post date, I expect you have already tested. What is the prognosis?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default All's Well That Ends Well: It Was Dry

Not wanting to risk losing an expensive computer, I had the tech at the local shop disassemble the Mac. I was happier spending the bench fee than I would have been risking losing the computer. The main risk, he said, was finding water soaked into the track pad, which can cause a short, even a long time after one presumes the computer to be dry. Turns out that all Apple laptops have moisture sensors between the cases and the keyboards and trackpads, to protect Apple from paying for warranty repairs on computers that actually got wet. I was lucky. I acted so fast when the spill occurred that the water sensors were not even tripped!