Thread: Slow MBP late 2011 13"'

Default Slow MBP late 2011 13"'

I have a computer that’s stumping me. My caregiver/cousin/friends Late 2011 MBP 13” 2.8GHz i7 is was running slow… a few grey screens… I figured hard drive. I reformatted the new TB hybrid drive I got from Macgurus that was on my iMac and got it into her computer fine with her OS. Nothing no change, maybe a little… she was using a 3.75GB of 4GB RAM so not that bad… but we put 8GB in for a total of 10GB still not what it should be… IMO

I booted other systems via FW800 - also slow.

She’s got a MBP 13” Late 2011 2.8GHz i7, 10GB RAM, 1 TB hybrid drive this should run just fine. Snapy? - right, faster than stock?

I found some stuff about using with a older/bad battery said slows it down.- possible

Any thoughts? I’l going to read more. If it ran faster once?

Only talking about using Safari, Pages, Word… simple docs nothing tough. She does have a huge photo library.

Can half a processor be working? Any tests I can do here?

Thanks,
    Randy

Sorry Randy, I haven't been around today. (went fishin this morning)

I do wonder if it would pay to run one of the system tests. I haven't done one in so long I don't remember what or where would be best.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Sorry Randy, I haven't been around today. (went fishin this morning)

I do wonder if it would pay to run one of the system tests. I haven't done one in so long I don't remember what or where would be best.
    Exzctly, I have not done any real trouble shooting with the intel chipset it's worked just me, a few friends only a few hard drives. I'll read around. It should be a snappy little computer now but it's not... it's like a slow drive or processor.... makes no sense.

Thanks to anyone with a thought a test ... I was reading about a hardware test download on Apple forums before I put RAM in... I'll try to find it.

I've both enjoyed not beating my head to mush trying to figure a issue but now I enjoy it as it usually just works...

I never worked or read much on MBP so not sure what to think.... reading always helps kinda...

Activity Monitor can be useful to see if something is hogging CPU/GPU or RAM. Temp too. Mine would get really toasty, and sluggish on certain sites before I disabled Flash. Now it loads 'em fast, and stays cool.

If it's crashing take a peek at the logs. They can give you some good clues too.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane View Post
    Activity Monitor can be useful to see if something is hogging CPU/GPU or RAM. Temp too. Mine would get really toasty, and sluggish on certain sites before I disabled Flash. Now it loads 'em fast, and stays cool.

If it's crashing take a peek at the logs. They can give you some good clues too.
    Good to see you...
    The grey screens, crashing quit after the new hard drive and memory bump from 4GB to 10GB.

Activity Monitor looks good... see nothing going on. I will have her check flash player.

Thanks

Well the crashes went away and after a day or two she said it did seem faster. - Maybe the new drive needed indexed? I don't know.