Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: hazkell ------ bought a pristine 2.6 GHz unibody 2012, 16 GB ram, I T SSD ?

If I just use USB 3 .... what do you suggest for a backup?

h

Quote Originally Posted by Hazkell View Post
    If I just use USB 3 .... what do you suggest for a backup?

h
    Anything big enough. That's all that matters. If you are only going to backup the MBP, then use any of the USB3 only enclosures - they are dirt cheap since they are so common.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Well, I'm going with what you suggested originally. Buying right now!

thanks, h

Well, as usual, I've run out of patients .... what I'm really interested in is backing up my MBP asp ... MDD is not a priority at this time. I'm going with this:

MG12-U3 - USB 3.0 2.5 inch SATA Enclosure
    Choose a Drive:: 1xCRU500 Crucial MX200 SSD 500 GB

I have mucho Adobe software that I need to back-up ... before I lose them.

I can always get the other, if I really need too.

Any opinions .... anyone?

Before I actually purchase I'll wait to see if there are comments!

Good night, h

Question

What was a couple of days ago isn't what it is today.
    Only reason I'm thinking of the firewire / USB combo external back-up ... is because the MDDs are old ... if the USB 2 goes south ... I'll have the firewire 400 to use.
    Speed wouldn't mater at that point ... just get the job finished.

Anyones thoughts on my thinking? ... I know my sad ... but I'm the best I have!

I would like to make the purchase ASP.

later, h
    Last edited by Hazkell; 05-22-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Question Ready to buy!

Howdy, hope someone answers couple of questions on the external back-up.

1. MG12-U3 - USB 3.0 2.5 inch SATA Enclosure - was going to buy today and went to the page and saw .... "OUT OF STOCK"... will you be getting more or is this the end?

Not interested in going to OWC, but will if have too.

thanks, h

Manufacturer discontinued it and only has the USB3 + Firewire one now. I'll be removing the page altogether soon as I have a moment. Sorry. We do carry the USB3 Firewire Combo and is in stock.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Cool

Thanks for a quick reply ... I'll be back tomorrow --- right now I'm busy getting my "freak on"

Good by, h

Quote Originally Posted by Hazkell View Post
    Isn't there a HUB of some kind ... so I can plug two Mdd and my MBP into ... so all can send a signal to the external SSD with out having too unplug and replug.
    Obviously one at a time.

I will be partitioning the SSD .... thats the only way to keep things in order ... unless theres a better way.

I think this is the last step before I make the purchase .... I'm not sure .... what do you think?

I need HUB city!

The traditional method is plug storage into one machine, leave it there. Leave that machine on all (or at least most....) of the time, and share the drive/space/files over the network.

Limitations:

1. The machine connected to the storage (the server) has to be running for the storage to be available.
    2. Both the server and any machine ( the client) that connects to it needs to be on the same network.
    3. Performance is limited to network speed. Over Gigabit (wired) that is still pretty darn real world speed for moving files.
    4. Not bootable for network clients.....without serious set up and configuration.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Lightbulb

There is hardware solution! Never used one, but essentially, turns any USB device into a network device.

Besides traditional file sharing, I see do this. Looks interesting, but the licensing seems like a deal breaker.

Both are still technically network file sharing......but perhaps easier to setup and more intuitive to use. Might be worth a look.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Wink

thanks UNC. glad you dropped by!
    I'm checking those right now .... I'll be back!

thanks, h

Question

have been thinking about this for awhile now .... not only wanting an external HD, but ....

!. Is it possible to partition the external HD (yes .. I know.. no problem) .... but can one partition be "Mac" only ... while the other is "Windows"?

I know this is a pretty lame question ... I'm thinking ... NO ... but ...........
    have many files for both ... what to do ... what to do ..............

2. what I'm really getting to ... can this be done with one or do I need two HDs?

Right now I'm down at the old "fishing hole" with my foot stuck in a "whirlpool" ... so to speak.

later, h

Yes, no problem.

You can make a partition FAT, then when you install Windows with BootCamp, the Windows installer will reformat it NTFS. Here's the internal drive on my MacPro showing the NTFS Bootcamp volume.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 10.09.45 AM.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  14.3 KB
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Tongue

Rick, thank you!
    I was beginning too think that my question was so lame ... no one would answer.
    1. Is it still .... no more than 60% should be used for read and write? ... but can use 75 - 80% for read only?

thanks, h

Safe bet is keep drives under 80% capacity, more free space needed if it is an OS install on a small drive since the operating system uses a lot of swap space.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Question

Want to install a new os.

1. Should I stick with " El Capitan" or move on to "Siearra"?

Just thought I'd throw this in ... bought a GLYIH 3tb external hd.
    Wish I could of got it from "macgurus"
    I've had good luck with them in the past using "Pro Tools".

thanks, h

I will put the BurlyLite against the Glyph any day.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin