Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hazkell ------ bought a pristine 2.6 GHz unibody 2012, 16 GB ram, I T SSD ?

Default hazkell ------ bought a pristine 2.6 GHz unibody 2012, 16 GB ram, I T SSD ?

So, will need some wise advice as in first things first ... which thread should I be in?
    I bought this 2.6 2012 because I can tie it to my old G4 MDD ... keeping the old with the new.

Guess I need an external back up system also ... which one is the ?

thanks, h
    Last edited by Hazkell; 05-01-2016 at 05:42 PM.

I don't know how to answer the backup question without knowing how big it needs to be. Up to 2TB you can use the little USB3+Firewire box with a 2TB Spinpoint. Bigger than that requires something different.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Question

THANKS! I will be buying one of those plus a I TB SSD.

1. Do I need any cables or are they furnished?

change of subject:

2. I just have a question ... is the firewire port on (2.6 GHz unibody 2012) smaller than the port on the (MDD)??
    Or do I need an adapter??

3. how about EL Capitan ... still too buggy? I have a free download waiting on me.
    Figured I'd back up the MBP ... first thing when I get the drive.

thanks, h

1) Cables that are included are listed in the contents tab.

2) The MDD has Firewire 400. So you will need a 400 to 800 cable if you are cross connecting.

3) You cannot take an older computer to ElCap, so kind of moot point. The 2012 can go to ElCap, I don't have an opinion on buggy, I am still at Yosemite.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Generally speaking....10.11 is pretty good overall. Now that it is at 10.11.4, with another patch around the corner, should be pretty safe.

10.12 will be upon us if a few short months.

Keep in mind moving forward 3+ OS versions can always introduce a few challenges, especially if you have any legacy software you need to work. Investigate that first, as a general rule.

For backups, a general rule is: the more space the better. Space is more important than speed, as good modern, automated backups happen quietly in the background. More space means more versions/restore points/history....and that is always a good thing.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Well, it appears I lied. There is no contents list. Enclosure ships with USB3 and FW cables. Does not ship with a FW800 to FW400 adapter cables.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

MDD will stay at 10.4.11.... guess I wasn't very clear ... when I said (tie the old with the new) ... I meant ... will be able for both the MDD and unibody to use the external drive for back-up but need an adapter.

1. where does this fit in ... Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter with built-in Thunderbolt cable.

2. I never did get a manual with the unibody ... so I don't really know what I have.
    guess I'll do a search.

3. So, tell me .... will I be able for both ... actually I have two MDD and the 2.6 unibody ... should I buy one of those Firewire Port Hub?

4. Should I get DiskWarrior and Applejack or are they needed?

I gotta go for now ... but will be back tonight.

thanks all, h

PS: I know I have some schooling on my part to do ... but needing some help getting started.

You would not purchase a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter - just use USB3 connection on the MacBookPro, use Firewire on the MDD. You would need a Firewire 800 to 400 cable for the MDD or a Firewire 800 PCI card.

You can backup anything you like to one drive as long as it is big enough to hold everything. I like separate partitions so that I can boot to the backup when needed.

I would recommend you use SuperDuper for your backup application. It will make a bootable copy and can be set to update the backup whenever you attach the backup drive.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Rick, Rick, Rick, just a question, can you boot up from USB3?

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...he-mall/n11863

OK! I'll be picking up everything in the next couple days.
    Thanks for the info.

Will SSDs fit in the MDD?

I'll be back.

thanks, h

You can boot USB3 on Intel Macs.

MDD is ATA internal bus, so to install an SSD you would need a bootable PCI SATA card. I believe SOnnet still has one that fits that description.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Thats great I have PCI SATAs in two MDD ..... feeling better already.

Anyone know where a good cable adapter could be found?

I also found the sonnet card on ..... Amazon.

later, h

molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Isn't there a HUB of some kind ... so I can plug two Mdd and my MBP into ... so all can send a signal to the external SSD with out having too unplug and replug.
    Obviously one at a time.

I will be partitioning the SSD .... thats the only way to keep things in order ... unless theres a better way.

I think this is the last step before I make the purchase .... I'm not sure .... what do you think?

I need HUB city!

thanks, h
    Last edited by Hazkell; 05-06-2016 at 04:42 PM.

I can remember looking for a FW hub a while back, and finding nothing. FW is on the way out I'm afraid.

SSD is not going to gain you any speed in an external USB/FW enclosure. It will be quieter, cooler, and less prone to shock damage than a mechanical drive.

SSD will mount in any drive bay with a 2.5" adaptor. I just put one in the second optical bay of my Mac Pro, and have had one in the OB of my MacBook Pro for a while. The one I got for the latter even came with an external USB case for the Superdrive.

Should I purchase DiskWarrior?
    How abut Applejack?

h

I would not buy an SSD to attach via FW, I would to attach via USB3. But only if I was going to use the SSD to speed up things. As a backup, an SSD is a waste of $$.

Hubs.... haven't talked or thought about FW hubs is years. They are out there, but I haven't a clue what to recommend any longer.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Ok!
    gotta take care of some business ... be back in a little.

h

Well, after reading some of Ricks blog ... I'm Totally Confused ... thank you very much!.

Ok, I want to get this back-up going asp.
    So, I should just stick to USB3 cable and drive ?... forget the firewire?

Just tell me what works the best in my situation .... please!
    Chit, you know, I've been poking along with 10.4.11 since way-back ... just had too much invested in Adobe software.
    I always was interested in Adobe software ..... too bad for my bank account.

Moving on ... have 2 MDDs ... 1- (os 10.4.11) ... 1- MDD partitioned (os 9 and os 10.5) ... 1- MBP (os 10.9.5) ... forgot, also a PB (os10.4.11).

Keeping things simple ... I hope!

1. Will purchase 1- MG12miniFW-U3 - Professional Portable USB3 or Firewire 800 Drive.

2. Would or should I have any use for this - GD1008 - 6 Pin to 9 Pin 1394B 3ft?
    The only reason I see is if I download something for my MDD from the internet using the MBP and bypass the MG12miniFW- U3.

Am I understanding this right .... sorry... but the bug-juice has captured my thoughts again.
    Hope this is making some sense.

I gotta take a nap!
    I'll be back later tonight ............................... Good-night, h

The reason to get an adapter cable is your MDD G4 has Firewire 400 and the MG12miniFW-U3 has Firewire 800. To hook that up to the MDD you need an adapter cable. You wanted to be able to attach to the MDD... at least that is what I understood.

If you only want to hook to USB3 then no reason to get an enclosure that has Firewire.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin