Thread: Nvidia Driver updating & Yosemite / El Capitan

Default Nvidia Driver updating & Yosemite / El Capitan

I just installed more RAM I bought from you (Mac Pro 3,1 2x2.8). Since on Yosemite, I had been getting periodic beach balls so I upped the RAM from 10 to 18GB. So far I do notice a difference. (I have 4 internal drives for different data / OS's, and all have plenty of empty room on them, so it's not that the drives are over half-full where they slow things down).

While in my updating mode, I was Googling as to whether my Nvidia GT120 card would still work if I upgraded to El Capitan, and stumbled upon Nvidia drivers for both Yosemite and El Cap. I realized that I don't even remember ever installing drivers here, and when I updated systems, I never updated them then either. I don't have any problems other than that beachball and ONE app that does draw its GUI in a glitchy fashion (frames it then fills it in).

In the last year, I had read posts where people with newer cards than mine were having sluggish issues with a certain app whereas the app is speedy for me. Questions

1) whether I should leave well enough alone or actually install the driver for Yosemite?
    2) What would be benefits of updating?
    3) Where is this driver located so that perhaps I could see what version I actually have? (or did my OS X updates actually update the drivers)? Doesn't tell me in About this Mac.
    4) Any thoughts on this card and other comments on updating this computer to El Cap? I've read where it has improved older computers, and other horror stories to the contrary, so as with all OS updates, I like to check it out first.

Thank you!
    Last edited by macmac; 03-28-2016 at 06:57 AM.

Apple installs the correct driver for the graphics right along with the operating system. That's all good.

You can see driver version inside Apple System Profiler. Look in extensions.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

M. Brane: I just noticed your post on this older thread, indicating Nvidia drivers. Are you saying/recommending that even though the Apple OS updates the driver, is it a better idea to use the ones from Nvidia?

Here's their latest: http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...x/105589/en-us

My update: I've since installed El Capitan which hasn't been a good experience on this Mac (3,1 2008 dual quad 8-core MacPro with 18 GB RAM). Typing text particularly in Safari had a slow lag, beach balls galore, a few KPs. Rather than going back to Yosemite, I waited for and did the new 10.11.6 combo update yesterday and things do seem much better now.

I had read that El Cap had graphic changes, and since installing El Cap I have had 2 apps where at launch, the window open black at first then fill in. This plus the previous text typing lag—although seemingly fixed by the combo update— I wondered if my GT120 was under-spec'd for El Cap in general and if I should consider getting a used ATI Radeon HD 5770 or other recommendation that would work in a 3,1? Or take a chance on updating the driver with Nvdia's on this link (saying it is special El Cap version).

1) Are cards like the GT120 borderline compatible with EC's demands? Symptoms? My card only has 512mb whereas something like a 5770 would bring it up to 1GB. I never saw actual statement of what cards are not OK with El Cap.

2) Although things seem better now, would Nvidia's own driver be better than Apple's installed, and if so, likely what would improve?

I don't want to invest a lot into this computer at this point (I did do the RAM from MacGurus which is good), but I do see me keep it for another year and would like it to run as well as possible. It's always been a great solid computer, and still pretty fast, even though it's older (although as I said, it seems much better now since the combo update yesterday). Thank you!
    Last edited by macmac; 07-21-2016 at 06:49 AM.

I'm far from an expert on Mac graphics cards these days which is why I posted the link to AYM. Lots of good info there.

That said my Mac Pro 5,1 seems fine with the latest El Capitan running the stock ATI 5770.