Thread: Turning up like a bad penny !

Question Turning up like a bad penny !

hello brothers / sisters ..... have not been here in sometime.
    hope everyone is doing well .... I know I'm not!

I'll make this short and sweet .... "bad penny".... once again trying to install "9.2.2" into "classic" on one of my "MDD".

did anyone find a simple way to install it?
    I went through this a few years back .... spent many nights burning the midnight oil .... found the answer .... burned a disk .... great! .... three years later can't find the disk.

gotta go .... searching the world by key stroke.

any help will greatly be appreciated.

thanks, h

I don't remember the last time I did a fresh 9 install. Biggest hurdles are the 9.2.1-9.2.2 updates, and finding the right GPU drivers IIRC.

Pretty sure I have everything, but on the road now. Won't be home until later today.

I thought the MDD did not boot OS9 except some of the first versions. Right there or next machine won't boot 9 if I recall right.

Damn Haz, my brain is really old and you're making it hurt. OS9 - I don't even own a computer will do 9 any longer. I do own a installer or two. Might be possible to fix you up somehow if you can't figure it out.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

hey M.Brane glad you dropped by.
    by the way .... did you ever see the documentary "CLOSE TO THE EDGE"?

anyway I'm actually trying to run a "mac hardware test disk" and it keeps asking for me to install 9.2.2.

I can't get my MDD to handshake with my modem .... to the internet.
    a window tells me that they are not connected .... which is BS.

the modem is alright or I wouldn't be typing this .... on a powerbook.

thinking I need the hardware test for the MDD to see if the Ethernet port is functioning.

I already have 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 .... but need that special 9 disk for the MDD.
    if you have the complete set .... I'm willing to spend some "green!
    let me know if interested.

if I ever get this together... I'll burn a few copies.
    this time I'll put a copy in my gun safe.

thanks, h
    Last edited by Hazkell; 02-14-2016 at 12:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Interesting. I should boot my G4 into 9 to see it it still works. Could be a simple incompatibility with the modem. Uncle is the network guru around here, but I imagine his 9 knowledge is kinda rusty as well.

I'll dig around here a bit to see what I've got. I think the only thing special about the MDD install was those GPU drivers for the Nvidia cards.

I seem to recall that early MDDs would natively boot OS9, then Apple changed the firmware on later models and made them OS10 only? There were three, or was it four, distinct motherboard variations. It was always a bear figuring out which was which and how to install CPU upgrades and the like. Very complex product family.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

let me throw this monkey wrench into the mix .... i have another MDD-2 that already has ALL the 9 stuff as I remember.... dedicated to its own hard drive.

I just had it running about a week ago.
    I was working on a extensive iTunes folder for my .... soon to be new iPod.
    so I was shuttering CDs back and forth and I set a few of the cases on top of the MDD-2.
    also had the door partially open with a small fan to help cool.

you got it! .... at some point .... cases fell into MDD-2 .... thats all she wrote.... but there is 10.4.11 HD set up to run classic 9 which has 9.1-9.2.1-9.2.2 ...... plus a HD dedicated to booting into 9 ????

anyway, what I read into reading about 9.2.2 it will give you access to os 9- os 8 and os 7.... that can't be right .... can it?

I will fix it after I get my main MDD back "ON LINE".

RIGHT ON RICK ! .... about the firmware.

no-doubt about .... this whole thing started with me wanting to run "hardware test".

I hate to think I'll have to start from the be ginning with os 10.2 on up.

I was up all night last night working ..... time now is 11:45 PM

got some errands to run in the morning .... wont be back till afternoon.

thanks, good-night!

ps: I'll start a new thread about getting MDD-2 up and running after I get MDD-1 back on lline plus I want new HDs ( rick ) in ALL my G4s.

h

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    I seem to recall that early MDDs would natively boot OS9, then Apple changed the firmware on later models and made them OS10 only? There were three, or was it four, distinct motherboard variations. It was always a bear figuring out which was which and how to install CPU upgrades and the like. Very complex product family.
    Rick is right on this. I remember them only because I nearly purchased one. Ended up with a Quicksilver. Some will, some won't and yes 3 or 4 small changes.

I too thought about getting a MDD and being able to boot OS9. The 1.25 DP MDD is the last one to boot into OS 9 natively, after that you need to have OS 10 to get into Classic Mode. I ended up with a Quicksilver 1 GHTZ DP for my OS niner.

Confused

I want to thank everyone for their participation !!

I'm getting fairly tired of trying to figure this thing out .... think I need a break.

Since my other MDD-2 got fried from those CD cases falling down inside .... Need to figure out the problem / fix.

I'll be back .... shortly with a new thread.

h

I actually did boot my DA into 9, and messed around a bit. Had to do some extension tweaking since my audio hardware has changed since those days. Talk about a trip back in time!

It gets an IP from the router, but can't connect to or be connected to by anything running Yosemite. It tries, but just gets a generic error. Didn't actually try going onto the internet. Don't trust any old browsers/flash.