Thread: Anyone using a Caldigit TS2 with an esata Burly multi bay enclosure?...

Default Anyone using a Caldigit TS2 with an esata Burly multi bay enclosure?...

My Sonnet echo pro went belly up and I need a replacement solution asap. This caldigit ts2 has esata ports so I could plug my burly directly into it, but not sure if it will work with my 5 bay burly. Cost here 225 euros.

I've read it is uncertain it works with port multipliers. I think the burly has a port multiplier.

I also see here at magurus the lycom 6gb 4 port pcie card. Would have to buy the akitio thunder 2 as well. Cost about 320 euros without shipping.

Shipping is to France.

Would like to keep using my Burly if possible. Just need a quick but good reliable solution that isn't too expensive. Need my photo library back up and running.

Thanks
    M
    "Storm on storm, snow on drifting snowfall,
    shifting its shape, flurrying in moonlight,
    bright and ubiquitous,
    profligate March squanders its wealth.
    The world is annihilated and remade
    with only us as witnesses."...

Dana Gioia
    from The Gods of Winter

We tried to purchase/test and decide whether the CalDigit unit worked properly. CalDigit informed us that they were not selling it to resellers since demand was high enough. So I never have had one in my hands. Cannot tell you how well it handles eSATA duties pr whether it works with port multipliers properly.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by momo View Post
    My Sonnet echo pro went belly up and I need a replacement solution asap. This caldigit ts2 has esata ports so I could plug my burly directly into it, but not sure if it will work with my 5 bay burly. Cost here 225 euros.

I've read it is uncertain it works with port multipliers. I think the burly has a port multiplier.

I also see here at magurus the lycom 6gb 4 port pcie card. Would have to buy the akitio thunder 2 as well. Cost about 320 euros without shipping.

Shipping is to France.

Would like to keep using my Burly if possible. Just need a quick but good reliable solution that isn't too expensive. Need my photo library back up and running.

Thanks
    M
    I tried the CalDigit Ts2 with my 5-bay Burly eSATA Port Multiplier and found that it does not support Port Multiplier. The solution I have in place at this time for my MacPro6,1 (late 2013) with just Thunderbolt-2 and USB3 ports is...

ECHOPRO-E34 - Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro
    TSATAII-PRO-E34 - Sonnet Tempo 2 Port Express34 Pro SATA Host Card

I run a thunderbolt cable to the ECHOPRO-E34 - Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro and insert the TSATAII-PRO-E34 - Sonnet Tempo 2 Port Express34 Pro SATA Host Card into it and then run an eSATA cable to the Burly. Works very well since Feb 2014. I don't believe Rick sells the ECHOPRO-E34 - Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro anymore..... sad.

I would still sell it, except Sonnet stopped making the SATA Pro Express34 card that goes in it. No other card will properly support the port multipliers. It became a dead end.

Also, the Akitio Thunder2 PCIe adapter is a lot more powerful, close to the same cost and has 2 Thunderbolt ports making it chainable.

An Express34 slot is a one lane PCIe slot. Limit in speed is about 200 MB/sec.

The Thunder2 has an 8 Lane PCIe slot. Its limit in speed is about 1400 MB/sec.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default update on the caldigit ts2

Been using the Caldigit ts2 for about a month now. Tried it because the folks at Caldigit said i could return it direct to them or amazon for 30 days if it didn't work. They were responsive and helpful via customer support.

The first week or so was hit/miss with connections and various things like email program freezing, lightroom too, going on. Another disk (a 3tb seagate-see below) that I repaired with disk utility went belly up so had to replace it. Updated photoshop/lightroom cc cause those are the programs handling files coming and going as far as my image libraries, tiff production, etc. from burly to computer.

Honest. Not sure where the 'problems' were coming from but started handling whatever I could think of one thing at a time.

Also did some cleaning. Un-installed the sonnet driver. Updated any drivers I could find for connections like my wacom tablet.

Followed caldigit advice for the order in which to connect the ts2 to my 5 bay burly and the macbook pro (summer mid 2015 mbp OS 10.10.5 - model 11,5). It's on their website under faq.

Rick, I'm happy to say it has been rock solid for the last 3 weeks. I only sleep or restart my computer. Often sleep/wake during the day as I come and go. Perfect. No disks self ejecting. No frozen screens. No nothing but blissful work. I hate when technology problems takes my time away from work.

Also, one of the hard drives I had to replace in the Burly, a drive I use as scratch for photoshop, works as a bootable start up disk. Amazing. True. But I haven't tried it yet. I just copied over the mbp hard drive via carbon copy cloner. So I've got a second backup of my whole system backed up. It's a 2tb seagate, 7200 rpm disk, and it still leaves over 1.5 tb of space for photoshop scratch. More than enough for my working files.

I hope this continues. I love the Burly. Solid since I bought it in 2008. Could not see abandoning it unless I couldn't find a solution. Been using ccc for back ups. Oh, using as jbod no raid. That might make some difference.

I'll be in the US again mid march and may order your two bay burly usb3/esata for another solution. Have it as back up to my back up or something like that. Need to think it out. But I have a free usb3 port on the mbp and several on the caldigit ts2. I will email you with some specific questions as I get closer to departure date.

Ok. That's all I got so far. Thankfully, five new disks, actually four new disks in the burly. All images backed up safely as I went through this mini nightmare of disks going kaput. I think some of it was the loose sonnet box/34express connection I bought. Maybe some software related. And I'm not sure what blame to place on failing hard drives. It almost felt as one went defective it infected the others. Can hard disks transmit a virus? ;-)

The one 3tb Seagate drive I bought was replaced with a new one. I paid ten bucks up front for a new replacement if it had problems/failed within the first year. It was only six months old. Hope this new one doesn't crash and burn like the first. I've read bad stats on this particular 3tb 7200 rpm model. Think it was Back Blaze? The slightest hint of a problem and I'll save files and trash it. For sure it won't go back in the Burly now.

On this latest set up. 4 4tb drives. Two seagates. Two hgst. 1 2tb drive from seagate. All 7200 rpm. I think they are all 64gb cache. Hope these last 3 years without problems. I like that the hgst's have 3 year warranties.

Rick. Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

Morris
    bright and ubiquitous,

Dana Gioia
    from The Gods of Winter

Default short ps...

I do like that the connections now seem straight forward. Easy. Burly via esata cable to Caldigit ts2. Caldigit ts2 via thundebolt to computer. That's it.
    bright and ubiquitous,

Dana Gioia
    from The Gods of Winter

Thanks for the report.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin