Thread: My TB Fusion drive dumped...

Default My TB Fusion drive dumped...

During this past month OIR maybe less my finder or pointer has given me the spinning beachball more often in Safari but other task/apps also. After a while it?d come back. it?s been more frequent the past week? no thoughts kicked into my pea brain but whats been going on is I am 99.9 percent sure the TB Fusion drive in Late 2012 2.9GHz quad-core 22.5 imac is toasted. This is how my neighbor friends acted when that drive went.

Today I was on Safari it started constantly spinning, every move.. I checked RAM, CPU?. it all read good. I shutdown/started using the power button and some where I got a grey screen with the darker grey circle and line in the middle of the screen. Then it hit me this drives fried?

So I booted again held the 'option key" prayed and my FW drives shoed up and I am booted up to a backup from last night. I did little today but a few emails and internet reading so I did not add anything I would need. DU said the main boot drive was fine. ha.. it won't boot.

Now.. what to do? Keep using this backup as my main drive? - yes I assume

Heres the biggie., Try to fix? How tough to get into a imac like this? Rick sent me a link... don't look to bad. Someone did one and put a SSD? Damien? Maybe I'm thinking his mini.

Send it out for repair? Get my MBP idea going. I'll just use this partition or have too.

Thanks for any thoughts,
    Randy

That sucks. I guess it's out of warranty by now. I'd guess with the FW drive it's also slow. It was Damien who installed the SSDs in his mini. I can't imagine opening my iMac up. You need special tools and lots of space to work in, it seems. I've often thought that if the SSD in my iMac died I would just get one of Ricks TB units and plug it in and be up and running just like that. Why not use an external drive with TB?

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng View Post
    That sucks.-- snip-- I've often thought that if the SSD in my iMac died I would just get one of Ricks TB units and plug it in and be up and running just like that. Why not use an external drive with TB?
    What would that run like?

This FW drive is faster than I expected. I's on the fastest partition of a TB drive. I have about 280GB of computer. 90 percent Apple OSX

I've got time to think now... backups are awesome. Thanks Rick

Default A plan...

After visiting with Rick more about speed, costs, needs.... I'm going to do the following for now.

Buy a USB3 Bridge and swap my Burly to USB3 from FW and buy a 1TB Hybrid drive/case and use it for my main boot drive.

I'll think or ponder later about opening up my iMac and putting a SSD in it. I got a feeling it will feel fine and I won't have the need/desire to open the iMac up.

I hadn't thought about USB3, duh. That sounds like a fast and more reasonably priced fix. That Rick is a pretty smart fella. I don't have USB3 and TB would be the only faster way for me to boot. FW800 is better tan FW400 but I wouldn't want to run my Mac on it, unless, of course, I have to. Which I have, but it is painfully slow. Glad you found a remedy.

Howdy -

Pretty sure this is your model. As you can see....all about getting the display off. The rest is easy.

2.5" SSD should slide right in.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Unc, I'm sure when things get less hectic I'll open my iMac up and swap an SSD into it. Life has been a little demanding for me and this with rid myself of FW as I don't have a FW port just the TB to FW adapter. It will run fine for me and be a quicker easy fix.

Rick sent my great links and kit for the black sticky tape and it does not look that tough at all.

I'll keep posting.

This will make me think about looking for a USB3 Hub faster than planned. - ideas?

Thanks all,
    Randy

Thumbs up Running good again...

Well I took the quick, fast and easy way out with my crashed drive in my iMac. I'm up and booted to a 1 TB Hybrid it's in a small case and connected via USB3 - it's working great. After the new year I'll switch my Burly to a USB bridge and be back in the modern world.

Need to replace my cousin and good friends hard drive... She uses it daily it's a late 2011 I figure I'll do that for her. I don't want her MBP crashing next March when we cruise the Panama Canal. Looks to be a straight forward swap.