Thread: DSS to MP3

Default DSS to MP3

A friend of mine, a paralegal in fact, has about, oh 59 or so DSS files, and she asked for my help to get them converted to mp3 or something readable/audible by a "normal" computer. I did a quick search and found something called "Switch" (IIRC), and although some comments in some discussion threads (on other sites) said it would work just fine, it did not.

So, I need to find something that will do the trick. I have a copy of Audacity and I thought that surely that would work, but again, it did not.

Oh, and I'm still running 10.6.8 --- just have NOT had time to upgrade to 10.11...... (Such PITA.... but that belongs on a different thread)

Anyway, all suggestions appreciated. It is entirely possible that I just did not search long and hard enough for a solution.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I don't think you can directly but if you get a player to play them on the mac then you could use something like WireTap to capture the audio as it plays
    Damien,

Oh bloody heck. I was really hoping for a simpler answer.... not to add to the urgency of this or anything, but it is related to a death-penalty case.... so, as they say in death penalty cases, "everything is important."

I have to admit that I don't really "get" all the hundreds (dozens?) of different audio formats that were developed over the years..... why can't things just be simple? LOL.

So in other words, I have these files on my Mac. I would need to transfer them back to some kind of recording medium that will work with a hand held device that will play DSS files..... then, once I have the files back in a hand-held device, then make sure it has some kind of audio out that will connect to the Mac? Easy as pie!

I have Audio Hijack Pro, so at least that part of the equation is taken care of (Sigh).

Thanks for your input. Appreciate it. This is what I was afraid of......

This seems to do the trick (I tried a sample and it worked) but it's $24.95. Maybe there's a free version out there somewhere?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd 9 View Post
    So in other words, I have these files on my Mac. I would need to transfer them back to some kind of recording medium that will work with a hand held device that will play DSS files..... then, once I have the files back in a hand-held device, then make sure it has some kind of audio out that will connect to the Mac? Easy as pie!

No no there ARE dss players for the Mac OS so you would play them with the player software and capture using hijack or wiretap with no outside hardware needed. The only issue is it's real-time... if you have 5 hours of dss you will need 5 hours to transfer it

Boyd seems to have something worth investigating though...
    Damien,

Oh, okay. Got it. Bigasoft does make one for the Mac that will translate DSS files without having to use real time. "Switch" claims to work with DSS files, but when you get down to the fine print, it's only the Windows version that translates DSS files, the Mac version does not. And even then, the Windows version will only translate DSS files recorded in a particular mode (the standard mode, I believe). Anyway, it cost me $16.97 to find this out. I guess the lesson is if you have DSS files and need to get them translated on a Mac, go with Bigasoft for $24.95.