Thread: What is Avast Mac Security

Default What is Avast Mac Security

My neighbor/friend has been telling me that an anti virus software must have been included/installed with 10.11...

I kept saying I've never heard of it or seen it. I said I don''t think Apple would do that but in these days maybe. Yesterday we looked for it on my computer and could not find it....

So he sent me the name of it... "Avast Mac Security" when I search my computer I find nothing. I see on Bing's search a Avast.com

I'm thinking he had to of download it. Can anyone shed some light? I don't want it but vwant to make sure he's not got something bad. He says it warns him on some web pages...

I don't know. Do you fella's

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

A quick pass through Google says that Avast is a very good free Mac security software. the bad... Sometimes when running it has a high system impact (things get slow) and it can't do scheduled scans. The good... it seems to find everything known and does it's job well.

Personally if this mac is in a private environment and not publicly used at all and if the person can be trusted not to install everything that shows up online then I feel that security software is not needed.

Avast was the security software that my daughters college required to be installed on all macs connecting to their system.
    Damien,

Thanks, Thats what I seemed to read. My computers safe/private just uninstalled Sophos as it no longer works in 10.11

Avast used to be pretty good on Win....still might be, have not used it in years.

Ironically, as Macs have gotten more popular than ever, AV and other security software has popped up everywhere. More ironically, the latest versions of OS X are safer than ever.

We have Symantec (required) at work on all machines. Better recently than it used to be....not so much of a resource hog. But in 4 years there, with maybe 100 Macs in my area, I am only aware of about 3 actual threats that were caught. All were legit Trojans....but for Windows. Came from questionable downloads, one from some set of free fonts.

The biggest threat, as I see it, is Malware, not the traditional virus, worm, or trojan. Sadly, many AV tools do poorly (or nothing!) to prevent or remove Malware. I found a good free Mac tool last year that worked on a afflicted machine. Since then, they got bought by Malware Bytes. There is still a free version. I am testing it now, but I expect it to be at least as good as the previous tool.

Assuming it is good, this will be my first (and likely only) choice.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Sounds like he was duped, which happens more and more with things like Java, Flash, and Reader downloads.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I think he has a habit of clicking on chit he should not.