Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 10.11 killed SuperDuper and TimeMachine

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Did we try the simple - erase the TM drive and start it over?
    Rick, yes I've done that a few times. Makes no sense but might try again. Two or three weeks ago I was reading on Apple's site and many people were having this problem. Many or most were related to the USB from UPS to computer... I don't think mine has one or I've forgot it has... They might have nailed down a better/different issue by now.

I'll check my UPS and go read further at Apple. I've been sitting full days again so this helps me mentally plus I have a lot more time to work with this. I had 20 plus people here for about 4 days last week through Thanksgiving and just let things go. I have time now and will get to it.

SuperDupers been fine it's just TimeMachine which I've only used twice to grab a document I wanted the earlier one because I deleted something... and knew two days before it was in decent shape.

I've never thought of it as a backup but knew I could learn to use it if needed sometime as I have plenty of backup storage.

Default Sounds like the USB on a UPS

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Forums
    There is a bug in El Capitan that prevents automatic backups from happening under some conditions?I'm not sure what they are.If you have a portable Mac (MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro), Time Machine won't work on battery power unless you open the Time Machine pane in System Preferences, click Options..., and then check the box marked
    Back up while on battery power
    in the sheet that opens.
    If you have a desktop Mac (iMac, Mac mini, or Mac Pro) connected to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) with USB functionality, please disconnect the USB cable from the UPS, then restart and see whether there's any change.
    Otherwise, until the bug is fixed, you'll have to initiate the backups manually by selecting
    Back Up Now
    from the TM menu in the menu bar (not the Dock icon.) If the menu-bar icon (a clock that runs backwards) isn't showing, check the box marked
    Show Time Machine in menu bar
    in the Time Machine preference pane.
    I keep finding that you need to unplug the USB data cable from the UPS to computer. This has fixed many peoples problems. I don't recall a USB cable but will have someone pull it out and check. I also have an older Belkin powered 2.0 USB Hub and it works fine but might be contributing to the problem also.

I find this same conclusion all over so assume it's the/my problem. I've erased the drive and started over several times. I am going to reinstall 10.11.1 and see. If no go I'll dig deeper into my UPS and USB cables, connections maybe try while not connected to my UPS.

Randy

Default Halp

Okay I reinstalled the 10.11.1 via a .dmg

Now my SuperDuper fails a complretion of a backup? but TimeMachine might be working?

Ran all the first basic stuff...

I don't like this. I am about to boot to my last good backup Sat or Sun and hopefully get my FW an SuperDuper working and the hell with Time Machine.

Just a WAG, but it could be something damaged, corrupt, or missing with either item. As SD is third party, it may be easier to fix.

One thing to consider would be to fully uninstall SD, plus all if it parts. An uninstaller tool can be helpful to grab all the prefs, cache, and other pieces and parts. AppTrap is my favorite cuz it is light, fast, and free.

It is a Sys Pref Pane you can turn on and off. To use: turn it on, and then move an application to the trash. You will be prompted if you want AppTrap to move all related files. Click yes, and everything related is in the trash. Pretty slick.

Be sure to turn AppTrap back off, or every time an app (....say Firefox) does an automatic update and deletes the previous version automatically, you will be prompted if you want to trash all related files. Dangerous to click yes without thinking, and lose all history, bookmarks, etc. Easy to turn AppTrap on and off....so I leave it off unless I want to use it.
    Last edited by unclemac; 12-09-2015 at 01:15 PM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Angry Tired, frustrated....

Thanks Unc,

Today I verified that TM is not backing up either. It gets to the time it should and just reschedules the next time it should copy. Also, I have not yet checked the USB from my UPS and that defiantly was creating issues with TM as a lot of people on the Apple forums have found this to be a conflicting issue.

I tried a few manual backups with SuperDuper just today and got no error messages so it appears it might be working but I have not yet had time to boot them and find out.

I have a drive last backed up on Saturday the 5th that was before reinstalling 10.11.1 I should be able to boot to it and erase the drive in my iMac and copy it back with that said drive. - right? I shut off all scheduled backups to it so I know it won't get wonky.

I'll work through the steps you mention Unc but would like some feedback just to make sure I am doing things correctly or more so thinking things out properly about erasing my main iMac drive with the good backup and letting SuperDuper reinstall.

Thanks,

Is your plan to go back to your 10.10 Yosemite backup? If so, no real risk since you have a backup sitting there. First step is boot to that backup and then use SD to copy back.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Progress?

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Is your plan to go back to your 10.10 Yosemite backup? If so, no real risk since you have a backup sitting there. First step is boot to that backup and then use SD to copy back.

Rick
    No because most of my backups are 10.11.1 now. I accidentally let SuperDuper overwrite 10.10 with 10.11.x before I told it not to.

I have one 10.8.x system and a 10.6.8. I fully intended to keep a 10.10 around but time just got away.

My plan was to just go back before I reran the 10.11.1 .dmg installer over my current 10.11.1. Because before I reinstalled 10.11.1 with a .dmg from Apple SuperDuper was working fine and I figured Apple would fix TM in time. I have one system clone before SuperDuper went wonky.

But today. Apple had a 10.11.2 updater so I ran it. It seems to have fixed the TimeMachine issues but I need another day to be sure about that. I have not had enough time to mess with SuperDuper today... been a long ass day.

I'll keep this going...

Thanks again

Hopefully.....fixed.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default It's looking beter

TimeMachine is working now. I'll see what my nightly SuperDuper does... I was playing a game on my 10.6 drive so SD never got a chance to run. I'll watch tonight and if things are a no go I'll follow your directions regarding uninstalling and reinstalling SuperDuper.

I'd still rather have a SuperDuper clone/backup than TM but then I don't know squat about how to reconstruct from TM... I have only used it a few times like when I've accidentally tossed a file or screwed a text/spreadsheet up so bad I want what I had a day or even 3 or 4 hours before that.

Default Good since 10.11.2

Well everything or TM and SD are both backing up, working fine since installing 10.11.2

Bravo! Do we thank Apple for the update? Or the problem? Glad to hear all is well! I have found TM to work pretty well. When I had to reinstall my OS I couldn't get SD backups to boot, except 10.6.8. But with the backup OS it redownloads the OS from Apple and then TM restores the info. It was flawless as I recall. It just took forever to redownload the OS. I need to test SD again to see if I can get a bootable backup, but that's another day.

Question My dead hard drive...... life?

I'd just been letting this old drive in my iMac sit mostly lack of my time and need for drive. I ran DU permissions and disk repair and both checked out fine. I erased it and got same the same good results again should I zero it, try an install-no CD/DVD, try or test it differently maybe it was a software issue. I don't think so... I know that feeling...

I'll try putting a bunch off random data on it for now...

Zero it. Always a good test. Copy back to it from a backup.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I might as well... it's just sitting presumed dead. The data I copied yesterday copied so fast. I try to clone a system to it just to see.

Well it looks like SuperDuper has done it in only 35 minutes. This USB3 is really fast especially with SSD Then I'll try booting said dead drive...

Confused

This drive seems fine... just the 5 minutes I've messed with it. Quick, fast snappy... maybe it was 4 years of directory corruption or something... it was the computer not slow internet. Well I have updated USB3 speed and drives.. needed.

Rick, w/should the USB3 SSD be faster thhan the stock fusion drive. I can't tell a difference I don't think.

I might just use this stock fusion and backup to the SSD...seems a waste of an SSD. Or boot from SSD and backup to internal fusion drive and FW

Did the fusion drive pass a zero?
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

I never did wrire zero's to it. I just looked a got confused with the new one but I can't recall how to write zeros. Right now I'm booted to the SSD and have SD set to copy to the fusion drive. Maybe it's still good there's ...