Thread: Mac Mini Hard drives.

Default Mac Mini Hard drives.

Education time please.

I have 2 Mac Mini's I want to upgrade to an SSD. I have a model # A1175 and A1283.

Do they both take the same type hard drive?

Are the connections the same ?

I know it's an SATA drive but here is where it gets confusing to me.... I see SATA II & III.... What exact type should I use ?

Thank you

Chris

2.5 inch SATA form factor. All SSDs made today are SATAIII. A SATAIII drive will work in a SATAI, SATAII or SATAIII bus, main limitation being speed is limited to 150, 300 and 600 MB/sec respectively. Those are bus speeds, actual speed is usually a bit slower than bus speed.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

So Rick, is there a point where adding SSDs are not going to show an increased speed verses a regular hard drive? Say the the front side bus speed is 800mhz, will SATA III, in effect, be slowed down, but SATA II will not? I'm not sure this is a good question, 800mhz and 600MB/sec aren't the same things. But since it's education time I thought I'd ask.

Typical spinning 2.5 inch drive is good for 100 MB/sec. That is mechanical speed. Frontside bus doesn't matter.

That spinning drive installed on a SATAI, SATA II or SATAIII bus is going to be exactly the same performance.

A 6Gb - SATAIII SSD is usually capable of 500 MB/sec, thereabout, let's just use that as an example.

On each type bus that SSD will pretty much always be at the max of the bus - around 135 or so for a SATAI, around 225 or so for a SATAII and full 500 on a SATAIII bus.

On anything but a very old SATAI bus that SSD is a big improvement over a spinning hard drive.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I couldn't find a model # A1175 ( I did find an A1176) and the A1283 is SATA II (I'm fairly sure). How do you find out which SATA version a Mac uses? If it's a A1176, that's G4 and I'd bet you couldn't even use an SSD, but I could be wrong, isn't it PATA?

If you upgrade, be sure and max out the RAM too. I don't know what OS you are using but 4GB of RAM seems to be the minimum. Rick has http://www.macgurus.com/Item/ST1000LM014 and that might be an alternative to SSD. But if you Max RAM + SSD = Max Zoom for you. Unless you want to upgrade processors, don't! Upgrade to a newer Mini, the cost ain't worth it. IMHO
    Last edited by yeungfeng; 01-03-2016 at 01:49 AM.

I tried to edit my last post, to no avail.

Rick the information you posted was great, Thanks!

My two cents:

SSD for all. Access time is faster, there is no fragmentation, and it does not lose speed as it fills. Makes all machines feel faster than new.

Just don't buy old, reburb, or off brands. Stick with stuff Rick trusts.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin