Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 10.11 killed SuperDuper and TimeMachine

Default 10.11 killed SuperDuper and TimeMachine

This does not make sense. It sounds like you all had easy upgrade... My SuperDuper 2.8 will not auto backup. I've manually done it. I have it scheduled.

Also, TimeMachine which I use just because I have the space. Similar I backed to a FW disk but it's not doing it's routine backup like hourly... with 10.10.x the drive turned a greenish icon?. no icon change now.

Unc, you had better SuperDuper results than me.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I have only used the free version of SD for cloning. As you have the paid version, you might submit a support ticket to them. Worth a shot.

As for TM, you might have to reselect your drive as a destination....in the TM pref pane.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I noticed that TM took some time to get back into it's groove after I updated. Not sure why, but my partition didn't change for a while. In fact I see my desktop so rarely I can't remember if it turned back to it's green state or not. I just looked, it didn't. But if you go into TM, mine says it made it's backup today. Just no graphics on the partition. You kinda made me nervous for a minute.

I've only used SD for periodic whole system backups. TM keeps all the changes for me, it's set to hourly. For that reason I'm no help on the hourly backup on SD. You might check the settings in SD, sometimes an upgrade will change things for me.

I'll send DuperDuper a message via email and see what they say.

TimeMachine - I erased most partitions with 10.11 and started new. I just figured TM would kick in and start working also... but nope only the times I've told it too. The proper drive is selected. It's been renamed and moved to a larger partition. TM should just do it's thing right? I've used it to grab a document or two from prior days and figure it might bail me out in a crunch otherwise I prefer my SD backups. I see no reason for it not to work.

Looks like SuperDuper is working okay seems faster.

TimeMachine still a no go unless I tell it to backup... it won't do it's hourly, weekly... or what ever else it did...

Confused as it's a part of OSX

Default TimeMachine

How the heck do you set TM up? I pointed it to a drive it copied and says it's scheduled to backup in about an hour but it never happens. Did I do something years ago and forget... I can't find a dang thing to adjust within it.

Have you gone into Preferences - TimeMachine? Take a screen shot. Click Options - Take another screen shot. Go to Finder and get info for the TM drive you are using, Once again a screen shot. Let's see just what you got.

I never got the screen shots but I erased the partition again with 10.11.1 and pointed TM to that drive and did a backup. It still is not doing it's hourly.. it did turn into the green Icon I was used to... I saw in the get info for that partition it had only read access across the board. I switched all to read n write and will see if it makes any difference. If not I'll post those shots...

I have done a little reading and see there are a few big problems with TM but mostly it is not finishing or will just hangup during a backup. Mine seems to backup just fine but has no working automated system as it's always done. It says it's scheduled to... but so far has not.

I'll read more too.

Default Here are the screen shots

Have you gone into Preferences - TimeMachine? Take a screen shot. Click Options - Take another screen shot. Go to Finder and get info for the TM drive you are using, Once again a screen shot. Let's see just what you got.
    Here they are...
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Default Any thoughts on my TM backup?

Damn TM is not backing up ... only when I tell it too... why o why

I really thought it would just go... There is a lot on the searches or I'll wait for 10.11.2

I can't fiddle with mine right now. The iMac blew a video card and I'm using the old steam powered model. Oh so slow and if I used TM it would not word on the one in the shop. So for now nada.

It looks like it was going to backup 6 hours later. Have you let it go to see if it runs when it says it will?

I did a bunch of reading and many many people have my problem. The biggest fix was disconnect USB from UPS if your using one. I'm not sure... don't think so.

I'll have more time and reread.

Ah ha! Another twist in the plot. I'd like to hear what turns up, it's a curious issue.

When I took in my 27" iMac to the Apple Store, I didn't read the tiny print on the iPad Mini. The "genius" listed it as a 21.5" and the video card would cost me $170 to replace. I think great, that's not too bad, not knowing the mistake. Then after getting the old 3.06 up and running, I checked the email. 21.5"??? I knew the card was more than 512mb, which is what they were replacing it with. So I checked and found AMD Radeon 6970M Video Card Replacement Program on Apples web site. I called back the next day and pointed out these facts and the nice lady said, even though the program ended in August, they'd still do the replacement for nada. That was way more appealing, still it took a week to get it done and they had the part in stock.

Don't mean to hijack the thread here, sorry. Good luck!

I love a happy ending.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng View Post
    Ah ha! Another twist in the plot. I'd like to hear what turns up, it's a curious issue.
    -snip-
    Don't mean to hijack the thread here, sorry. Good luck!
    No problem Time Machines going no where. Good to see you making progress. I'll fuss with this after the Holiday week here. SuperDuper's working and that is my main backup. TM ran mostly because I have the storage room.

Glad your video worked out.

Rick is there a way to imbed music so the happy endings could have happy music and the other sad?

I'm guessing it's the SSD in this iMac that makes it such a zipping thing. The 3.06 and hard drive was so much slower, I'd forgotten how much time can be spent installing an OS or upgrading it, transfer all the backup info. 4 years later and I'm still loving this iMac. Where's the happy music???

My 21.5" iMac Late 2012 with a 2.9GHz quad-core i5 and the 1 TB Fusion drive with a 128GB SSD in it and is it fast. When booting from a FW drive it takes forever but seems fine after booted not as snappy acceptable.

I should just buy a 24" for this iMac as it's "power" should carry me a few years... The MBP idera still seems fun but it's just extra money for something I don't really need.

I'd not buy now unless it was an SSD or it's equal. Drive speed seems to be the bottle neck.

Default Looking for a TimeMachine fix

Well my TimeMachine seems fine... just will not do it's updates like normal. I've done everything I can and was hoping there would be a fix to 10.11...

I'll go back and read further on Apple's site as many people had this issue a while back. Maybe someone has found a fix for it.

Thanks,
    Randy

Might be one last thing to try = https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1845?...S&locale=en_US

Combo update, can't hurt, just takes time to download and it might fix it.

Just an idea.

Did we try the simple - erase the TM drive and start it over?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin