Thread: Software raid with OS X 10.11

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Default Software raid with OS X 10.11

Now that Disk Utility has been stripped of all raid support what software is out there to make a software based raid?

Softraid is a bit pricey for the home user and the command line Disk Utility is a bit command linish

I am hoping there is another option somewhere...
    Damien,

I got this from Akitio

To learn more about the diskutil command, open the Terminal and enter man diskutil to call up the manual. Scroll down to the appleRAID section for more details about managing a RAID set. For example, to create a RAID 0 set with four disks, you would enter following commands:

1. In the Terminal, enter diskutil list to see a list of available drives. In this example we will use disk1-4.
    2. Enter diskutil appleRAID create stripe RAID0 JHFS+ disk1 disk2 disk3 disk4 to create a striped RAID set.
    My actual command in step 2 was diskutil appleRAID create stripe RAID0 JHFS+ disk0 disk1
    this made my 2 internal drives into a raid 0. I boot from an external thunderbolt drive
    Damien,

Aren't you the clever little demon. Bravo.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

CLI for the win.

Will be interesting to see if any third party dev builds a front end for this, or if Apple adds it back in due to pressure....there is some gnashing of teeth out there regarding the feature removal.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Hard part for newcomers to CLI is identifying drives. It really sucks to format a drive with data on it.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Terminal is a scriptable app so it would be easy to write a simple and nearly featureless front end in AppleScript
    Damien,

Wonder if we could get Jazzbo to write it?
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Jazzbo's would look better than mine that's for sure. I could probably get it done but it would be drag and drop with no progress indications and no safety
    Damien,

Safety?

Where is the excitement with safety?!?

When in doubt, format!

"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    Safety?

Where is the excitement with safety?!?

When in doubt, format!

I am old now. Safety becomes more important with each passing year.
    Damien,