Thread: Disk Locked

Default Disk Locked

I won't go into the whole back ground on this one. The fellow has a iMac @ 2012 model. He's bi-polar which adds to the mix. It was getting to the grey screen starting up. It gets about 1/3 the way and just stops. I used a USB Flash drive with my failed El Capitan installer and booted into Recovery mode. Used DU to repair the disk. (IF I could insert a sound here it would be a loud buzzer) DU says it can't repair the drive, it's locked. I shut it down, go into Safe mode and us Fsk to repair what it will. After that I can reboot into the Recovery partition on the drive, but DU still can't repair the disk, it's locked.

So I told him that the only way to use the iMac was to erase the whole drive and it's contents, which is what he wants (don't we all). The other option was to replace the HD and hope someone can get the data off it. I'm wondering if the drive was encrypted.

What else can be done?

Will it boot into Target Mode and mount on your computer? You could then mess with it from the comfort of a running system.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

And, in TDM, hopefully you can at least get copies of important info.

I swear I saw this way back, about 10.5 or 10.6.....and it could be caused when a user had changed permissions on the entire HD from the defaults. Dunno the details.....but If it mounts in TDM, you might do a Get Info on the mounted HD and compare the permissions of the volume to a known good volume.

On my current box running 10.11 the permissions for the boot drive are:

Owner: system, Read & Write
    Group: wheel, Read only
    Everyone: Read only

Also check the info within Disk Utility, paying attention to: File System, Mount Point, Case-Sensitive, etc.
    Last edited by unclemac; 10-22-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

One other thing: While booted to TDM, in DU, verify that the Disk is set to: Journaled. If it is not, there is an option in DU to enable it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Oh bad news, won't go into target mode. Now what?

Check DU to see the format of the HD, and if it is currently Journaled.

TDM should work...even if there is no HD. Is it not working at all, or is the HD just not showing up in TDM?

Good question. I'm relying on second hand information from a somewhat discombobulated fellow. I'll have to run by and check. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by yeungfeng; 10-25-2015 at 02:00 PM.