Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I need a new router help me out

Wifi can't be faster than the hard wire connection, it connects to.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    That's where you route the cat5 to put another WiFi router.

As far as using a WiFi extender, you would need to plug it into different places and see where the newly created blend of coverage holes and overlaps leaves you.
    When my brother takes over my house and I build a much smaller one on other side of garage... we will need to do this. Now I got a dumb question...

I assume you use a cat5 from one router to another right? if not where do you get a second cat5 from?

Am I the only one who uses their Mac as the home wifi router? I never could understand why anyone would buy one when it's built in.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by almaink View Post
    Am I the only one who uses their Mac as the home wifi router? I never could understand why anyone would buy one when it's built in.
    Tried that once. Range was about 1/3 what you get from a dedicated device. Much less power. Old house, lead paint and aluminum siding means if I want signal all over I need power
    Damien,

Yes, you would have to run from one router to another. First router has its WAN port connected to your internet service provider line. Second router gets its connection from one of the LAN ports on the first router to its WAN port. Second router makes its own local network. You end up with 2 (or more with multi freq WiFi routers) separate LANs.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up Got it

Thanks Rick

almaink - I have tried using my iMac as you mention. I don't get the range I need and can from a router.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    ....lead paint
    Ok...now I get it.

It's all starting to make sense now.

Better than tin foil hat shielding, and a tasty snack too!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin