Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I need a new router help me out

Good to hear the phone connection mystery was solved.

Routers keep getting faster and better, and more secure, but the increased range seems exaggerated to me. It always improves, but never as much as the hype seems to claim. Good news: the range extender market keeps growing, with more choices all the time. Stay tuned.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

They suggest that only certain houses can use those extenders. What needs to be in the wiring?

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng View Post
    They suggest that only certain houses can use those extenders. What needs to be in the wiring?
    Copper?

he he
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

My house was built in 1982 and I was told by one service guy.... you've got better as in --copper-- in your wire than what I have. I'd asked him to run a dedicated line but thought my house would be better. I easy excuse to get out of work.

Sometimes the right question is crucial. My feed from the power lines does have a aluminum ground wire. Aluminum works fine it just takes a bigger wire. Never seen it in a house though. So I'm suspecting that they need a ground wire throughout the house. Older houses often don't have a ground, I had to run a ground wire from my computers outlet to a metal pipe in the basement. Not knowing how the extenders work, I was just wondering. So I'm guessing Copper is the wrong answer here Mr. Wisenheimer.

Quote Originally Posted by yeungfeng View Post
    So I'm guessing Copper is the wrong answer here Mr. Wisenheimer.

Oh man. Busted.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

It is my impression that it can vary (whether it will work or not....) based on how circuits are run.

If, for example, a house has an addition and second breaker panel with independent circuits, you can't get data across from one panel to the other. I have seen this suggested, but not sure it is correct.

Mostly, like all data cabling, the quality of connections/termination and distance of cable runs are the biggest limitations.

Good overview
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Copper, phhhhtttttt and now Unclemac posts this really great overview. Perfect, and if you go to the http://www.homeplug.org web site, you get even more!

AND IT"S NOT COPPER! Can we get a little guy jumping up an down? Would be so useful right now.

Thanks Unclemac! I figured you would know something more than you know who.

molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Where's Damien's now that there are some smiting needs? He's got to be around her somewhere.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 10.14.23 AM.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  13.9 KB
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Sorry....

Casual, sometimes humorous disregard is the perfect substitute for any knowledge of the current topic.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Wow and I get to learn a new word too. I like new words. So would it work to say "Don't worry, the insouciant EMT is not a copper."? I've been trying to work in a change of definition for copper in these posts for a while.

Hope it's cooler there than here. It was 90? yesterday, I thought summer was over.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Name:  devilsmiley.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  30.0 KB
    Damien,

Oh you might be too late, the insouciance seems to have diminished. You really should be keeping an eye on him, but whatever, carry on.

Damien at work. Shivers running up and down me timbers. Nice part is, he knows as much, or as little, as I do about routers
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Question

So this router sends 2 signals a 2.4G and 5G right? wrong? two new networks show up that I seem to have control of.

It's running fine but need to read up on it.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Generally yes you have 2 separate WIFI networks at the different freq's. Can be handy if you have guests and want one common password and one private one.
    Damien,

Yep.

Think of it like AM and FM......broadcasting the same thing. Pick the one that has the best reception.....and that your device can access.

Lots of older devices have no support for 5GHz. Like yer old truck with AM radio only.

I hard wired my computer right? I'm getting mid 60's consistent. Wi fi not faster is it?