Thread: iPhone6 - into the new Century - 15 years late

Default iPhone6 - into the new Century - 15 years late

Bought a iPhone6 today. Learning how to use the thing. Had a MotoX, gave it to my son who wanted a Android. I had been wanting an iPhone and our good local cell provider didn't carry them being a smaller outfit - of course, until right after I bought a MotoX last year.

I am an opponent of all things cloud. So I have to be careful during setup not to, by mistake, turn on iCloud services. Even though my brother, better known as Jazzbo around here, is one of the architects of Apple's iCloud, I am not convinced that giving your data to a server and expecting it to be safe is the way a security conscious person should behave. ANYTHING not limited to your local storage is easily subject to random hacks and attacks. So no iCloud for me.

Still in all, even without iCloud services this is a pretty amazing device with incredible power. Can't wait to figure out how to get it to actually ring when someone calls me

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Itunes music service (25$ a year) is worth every penny and your songs are not only in the cloud but they are also on your hard drive. If you are a music lover you get to carry 50gigs of music on your 16gig iPhone. Love that service!
    Damien,

figured out there is a little switch on the case that turns ringer on or off. That's nice to know.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Welcome to the modern world Rick! They really are amazing things and I do believe when iOS9 comes out there will be more to be amazed with. I alway backup to my mac. When there's a problem, as can sometimes happen, it's way faster for restoring the phone. But I do use iCloud. It will sync everything from the computer and back to the phone. It is a god send with the calendar. Put it in your iPhone and there it is on the Mac, and from Mac to iPhone too. Using Safari I'm on my Mac and on a page, go out the door and go on the web with the iPhone and there that same web site, & bookmarks. The music stuff is awesome too. I decided to try the Apple Music, heck it's free for 3 months and 30 million song choices.

I guess there's a reason iPhone has a +90% share of the US market.

I have all the cloud stuff off. I have bad memories of when Apple first put the iCloud on a OS, one day deciding to see what and how it worked and when I logged in it took all my address book, calendar and mail data away. Mail was easy to get back, but took me a week to figure out how to undo the removal of the address book database.

Here at the Stephens house we mostly use Amazon Music. Not sure whether I want Apple itunes or not. We'll see. Obviously have to backup to my computer and update the iPhone with itunes, but that may be it.

So far other than figuring out it had a silencio switch hidden ion plain sight, it has been a pretty easy transition.

Thanks!

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

One other point would be that with iCloud you can use the Find My iPhone feature. Which if you leave it somewhere or someone takes it, you can get it back or in a worst case scenario erase the data.

That little switch can create havoc or be an reducer of embarrassment. I have a love hate relationship with it, especially when I forget to turn it back on.

Good grief iOS9 came out yesterday. Where was I ? Duh! I do usually wait a bit just to make sure there's no gotcha's. and then I don't have to know when it comes out either

I upgradidid to 9. Now I'll never know how much better it is than 8.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin