Thread: Brothers Samsung Galaxy Note 4 don't want to connect to my Netgear 624v3

Default Brothers Samsung Galaxy Note 4 don't want to connect to my Netgear 624v3

Hey that's the main question... My Brothers Samsung Galaxy Note 4 don't want to connect to my Netgear 624v3... it see it just fine but won't connect. We've down several things... shut my passwords off etc.

It did recognize and save it but still can't get wi-fi

I assume newer technology glitches... and can think of several things that might affect it so before I start pushing button's I don't need to be touching. Can a router only assign a certain number of id's to various users?

Thanks,

Howdy -

Following these steps? Could be a few things....check:

Number of devices/IP addresses?
    2.4 or 5 GHz....or both?
    Type of security (WEP, WPA...orWPA2?)

You can always reboot the router, and consider a firmware update if it is older.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Number of devices/IP addresses? -- I'm not sure? Where is this found. My iMac's hard wired. I've allowed dozens people over time access but not all at once.
    2.4 or 5 GHz....or both? neither? 108 Mbps Wireless Firewall Router
    Type of security (WEP, WPA...orWPA2?) it was WPA -- Have it off now.

You can always reboot the router, and consider a firmware update if it is older. - firmware is up to date.

Number of devices....if you have not changed it, the default is likely 50 or something. Probably not an issue.

Security....I wonder if the Droid will not connect to a an unsecured network? Don't know.

There should be a log somewhere on the router, and there could be clues there.

This is kinda ironic, as quite a few years back, it was Macs that could not connect to some old routers. Everyone would be on fine, on Win boxes......but a Mac could not join. In those cases, it was usually a newer Mac that did not play nice with an older protocol or standard.

Typically the only fix was either an update to the router, or some times to the Mac to solve the incompatibility. Seems a much less common problem in the last few years as networking standards have seemed to become, well, more standard.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Thanks

If it's 50 address then no don't think so. I have had this router about 6 years. I don't really want to buy one but maybe should.

Unc, We tried connecting it several methods and security settings. His phone said "saved' when I had no password. I've had many family, friends over the years connect all technology's never a problem. Maybe I have dished out 50 passwords over the years. Can I delete some?

I'm in a rush now... but post any thoughts back.

Make sure one of your test procedures is to power off and reboot the router. Give it plenty of off time - 30 seconds in minimum.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Well, honestly, 6 years is a very long time for a consumer router.

Most routers get about half that before they die, or start coughing up blood. My last router was great, for maybe 4-5 years. Then one day, weirdness, getting dropped off wifi, then losing internet. Replaced, and problems went away.

If you do replace, might check this out.

Besides improved range and throughput, modern routers (most....) have really easy interfaces. Big strides in the last few years. I read good things about Asus routers. Had to buy local in a pinch (wife works from home), and got a Linksys. OK, but I think it is over priced. Time will tell if it holds up. Less than about 3 years = fail.

As for your current antique.....really hard to say without digging through it.

Post Another fact

My brother has not had this happen anywhere else... it connects easily he said. It just may be my aging router.

He only got this phone as his really old phone did not or was not communicating with his fellow fir fighters and since he's the fire chief they voted to buy him a new one... He ended up buying the phone but let the fire department buy the data plan.

Default Found a fix

In my sharing preferences I switched to add "internet sharing" worked...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cool fix.

The fact that you can share wifi from your machine, points at the router being wonky.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    Cool fix.

The fact that you can share wifi from your machine, points at the router being wonky.
    Thanks for that tip.