Thread: Ext. HD for older Macbook Pro?

Default Ext. HD for older Macbook Pro?

HI Folks,
    I would love some advice to help me nurse along my old Macbook pro, 2006. It is maxed out on memory and I am not sure what kind of external HD to get that will work with this oldie. Any ideas?

MNY THANKS,

Jesse

Hi Jesse

Any good FireWire drive should do you nice. USB works and is cheap, but will be slow. OK for backups, or moving small occasional things, but FW is the way to go with this vintage Mac.

MacGurus have some great FW+USB cases, but you can find them at most good shops.

Two things to be aware of:

1. Most retail drives are sealed in a case you can't open. Which means they are disposable. They are cheap to buy, and you don't really know what you are getting....cause you can't see it. If there is any problem, you pitch the whole thing.

If you buy a case you can put a HD in, and change anytime you like, you will save money in the long run. You get a better case, built well and rugged, more flexibility, and you put the HD in you want, and change it when you want. Again, more of an investment, but you get what you pay for.

2. A small 2.5 drive can be powered by just FW or USB, but a larger 3.5 drive will need its own power brick. much less convenient if you travel of move around the house much. On the flip side, the large, AC powered drives have a greater capacity, so it depends on you your needs: best portability vs. best capacity.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

It doesn't say anything about the speed of the Hybrid Drive (ahem), and I must agree those are really nice and the price is too. Several years, OK many years ago I got small boxes for notebook drives and was very pleased using them as backup. These are much nicer and almost half the price. If you want portability I'd give this 2 thumbs up.

Is the drive in your computer the original? If so, that might, could use replacing (am I being too subtle?), for longer life of your computer. Maybe with SSD or a Hybrid drive could perk it up. Running you OS from an external FW800 might be a little slow. It always gets down to the cost of everything and how long you need to keep running on that Mac. Sometimes it just better to upgrade to a newer machine.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

A Hybrid drive would not be worth the added expense on a Firewire or USB bus. The bus in this case is slower than the common drive and you would see no benefit from the hybrid.
    Damien,

Roger on that one. It was late and I was checking out the speed of each of the drives listed. I suppose that the notebook drives have changed since I last used one. But I do remember the 5400 rpm drives were noticeably slower than the 10,000 rpm drives. The hybrid drive would only improve speed as a replacement drive in the MacBook Pro.