Thread: mac pro cylinder

Default mac pro cylinder

Dear Gurus,
    Is anyone using the new Mac Pro cylinder? What is the common buzz on that please? I have Mac Pro 2009 and I like it, but how long can it last?
    Thanks,
    Steve Z denver

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I have heard they are massive powerhouses. Also I haven't hear of many/any problems with them
    Damien,

i presume there is a way to utilize our supply of eSATA's with the cylinder mac?

There are several ways to attach eSATA to Thunderbolt. A PCIe expansion box or a Thunderbolt dock. Which is the right answer depends on how many drives in what configuration. Works awesome though.

I have been running a MacPro6,1 since Jan 2014. I like it. Been a very nice rig. The one thing I am waiting on though is software to be written that utilizes both GPUs. Apple built the new MacPro around its GPUs and the only time I can get both actually running is in Windows running Catalyst in a high end game. In Mac OS, so far, none of my applications use both.

Great machine though.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Never heard a complaint about one yet.....as long you have your storage/hardware/workflow sorted out.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Love my black Mac Pro. Also because it's small. I bought a bag for it, and can very easily carry it around.

Almost silent, too, which is worth a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by stevez View Post
    i presume there is a way to utilize our supply of eSATA's with the cylinder mac?
    Yes there are two methods I've tested.

Method 1
    You will need two components. MacGurus can supply both.
    a) TSATAII-PRO-E34 - Sonnet Tempo 2 Port Express34 Pro SATA Host Card
    http://www.macgurus.com/store/Item/Tempo-E34Pro

b) ECHOPRO-E34 - Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro
    http://www.sonnettech.com/product/ec...underbolt.html

You connect a Thunderbolt cable from the MP6,1 to the ECHOPRO-E34 and with the TSATAII-PRO-E34 inserted then connect an eSATA cable from one of the eSATA ports in the TSATAII-PRO-E34 to the Burly eSATA Port Multiplier enclosure.

Before firing things up you will need to install the Sonnet driver software to get things working. See http://www.sonnettech.com/support/kb...tion=b148#b148

Method 2
    You will need the CalDigit's TS2 Thunderbolt Station 2 dock. Now connected a Thunderbolt cable between the MP6,1 and the CalDigit dock and an eSATA cable between the CalDigit's dock and the Burly eSATA Port Multiplier enclosure.

No driver software is needed.

Obviously Method 2 is simpler and the CalDigit's TS@ provides a bunch of other useful ports.

I tested both of these with my 5-bay Burly PortMultiplier eSATA enclosure and con confirm that both methods do work with my MP6,1 and my MBP8,3 (17" late 2011).

I haven't been able to go testing the CalDigit, so can't speak to its usability. CalDIgit is not selling them to resellers, so I guess they don't care if we ever carry it.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin