Thread: Those Old iMacs

Default Those Old iMacs

For some reason I have two older iMacs 2007 & 2008 models. I'm sure they have their original HDs, the 2008 needs a complete RAM upgrade. Now the question begs to be answered is, is it worth the effort to upgrade these old iMacs. Would Maxing out the RAM and adding say, a SSD or Fusion drive, make the machines viable for a while longer?

They may just end up being test cases for my iMac upgrading skills, I've never opened one up before.

Sounds like fun anyway. Wonder if those were years you had to have Apple firmware drives or get software to manage the fans?
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Hey wait a minute, you were supposed to be lightening my load not adding to it

However, that is a good point and I don't remember either. Can you add more RAM than the 4GB supported max?

Guess it'll all wait until next year, just don't have the time to get it all done, this year.

OK I guess it's three now. I also have an Early 2009 iMac 24" 3.06 Ghz. As long as I'm doing the others, I guess. I've heard you can put an SSD into the DVD drive slot. My question is how do you make the work together? Use something like 0RAID? Would it be better than a hybrid drive?

iFixit has tool sets for all this stuff. Are there other sources? Anyone ever see or use those tools?

Some of the ifixit tools are really useful - like the spudgers and vacuum cups. As far as screwdriver sets goes I have always used a little miniature bit screwdriver set I got from the local Radio Shack. Pretty much everything can be found elsewhere though. So you just have tot take your picks.

To setup dual SSDs you just use RAID0. Doubles the speed - ZOOOooom.

Hybrids are minor step up from plain jane drives. They are about equal to the $10 added cost.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

OK not a big fan of Hybrid drives. They must have some benefit as you carry the notebook drives.

The REAL question, now, is where you can make a RAID0. Could you use one external and one internal drive for a RAID0? Can you mix hardware, SSD & HD? Can you partition a RAID0? With a RAID0 from 2 SSDs in a 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo make a huge difference in speed? Then there's the line out, FW800, but only for backup. Maybe a newer iMac is a better route (thinking out loud).

Sorry, I know next to nothing about this topic, and have not found much useful information about it. Thus we seek the knowledge of the MacGurus.

You definitely do not want an external drive as part of a RAID0 pair that you are booting your Mac off of. Too complicated for too little gain. Everything has to stay hooked and powered and attached just to boot up..... messy.

Has to be 2 internal drives, each on its own bus. That doubles the speeds. Works amazingly when it is possible. Hence all the kits out there to swap out the optical drive in MacbookPros to add the second SSD. The slot drive adapters work in anything with a slot optical drive. So no reason you can't do that on an iMac. But don't try it with an external. Besides, no external bus on the older Macs is fast enough.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

So could I put an SSD in the iMac and RAID0 with a HD? IF so, do they need to be the same size?

NO - You put two SSDs, one in for the HD, one in for the optical drive. RAID0 those two identical SSDs together and get twice the speed if just a single SSD. And usually a pair of smaller SSDs cost less than one large one.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin