Thread: Mac Pro only boots up if I hold the OPTION key

Default Mac Pro only boots up if I hold the OPTION key

Hi,

I've been having trouble with my Mac Pro (tower). My specs are in my signature.

A while ago I was having trouble dimming my Apple LED displays. They were not dimming in response to the keyboard. One "fix" I found on the internet - resetting the VPRAM - did not fix it, but instead, it made it so when I power up, the computer starts up like normal, but never makes it all the way booted up, it shuts itself down. :-/
    So again, I go to the internet, find the "fix" - which is holding down the OPTION key while powering up and it asks me what drive I want to start up from (I have a back up start up drive).

Now, this has been working BUT it is not ideal. And I never did find a way to be able to dim my displays like I wanted to.

Any takers?
    JBT

Early 2009 Mac Pro (tower) 2.26 Quad Core Intel Xeon
    32 Gb memory
    OS 10.9.5 (Mavericks)
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072
    Displays: 2 Apple LED Cinema displays, 24" (1900 x 1200)
    Sony TV XV display 1920 x1080

Go to System Preferences and Startup Disk and select your drive. If you resent the VPRAM you could have taken away the selected Startup Drive.

Buy the same token you can go to System Preferences and open Display Preferences and lower the Brightness. That might be all you need, try it can't hurt.

Post back and report your findings. Oh and welcome to MacGurus! If the above doesn't help, there will be someone else much more knowledgeable to help you on your quest.

Default Welcome to MacGurus... an awesome site

I can change my brightness with my keyboard F2 but I'm using an iMac and it might work different than the Mac Pro.

"Go to System Preferences and Startup Disk and select your drive. If you resent the VPRAM you could have taken away the selected Startup Drive."

Thank you that worked!

"Buy the same token you can go to System Preferences and open Display Preferences and lower the Brightness."

Sadly, I tried this a long time ago, for some reason the Display preferences doesn't show a way to adjust brightness. I have 3 monitors. My co-worker mentioned that the Graphics card may be interfering. The keys on my keyboard don't effect the brightness at all either.

I've attached a screen shot.
    JBT

Early 2009 Mac Pro (tower) 2.26 Quad Core Intel Xeon
    32 Gb memory
    OS 10.9.5 (Mavericks)
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072
    Displays: 2 Apple LED Cinema displays, 24" (1900 x 1200)
    Sony TV XV display 1920 x1080

Any chance the monitors have a brightness on the controls?

Have you tried disconnecting the "other" monitors, so you only have one, an Apple, and then try going to Monitors???

Do you have more than one video card in your Mac?

Screen Shot is a bit small, I can't read anything.

If booting to your backup fixed the problem, you just need to boot to the backup and use something like SuperDuper to backup the backup over the top of the main boot drive. Voila, fixed.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Not sure what controls the keyboard brightness....a preference, firmware, or what.

This might be useful to remap a keyboard. Don't use it, but it is well liked. And something like this will give more control, both from keyboard and the menu bar.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin