So... forgive me if this has been covered before......

Recently, it became possible for me to run two monitors. I am kind of elated about the idea (Okay, well, just say I'm easily amused). Anyway, I'm just about positive that the Mac Pro 3.1 I have has the stock graphics card installed. Two DVI ports. But my question is this.... I have a 23 inch display and plan to add a 20 inch display to that. Is 256 MB of RAM (what's on the stock graphics card) really enough?

There's a place here in Stinking Desert National Memorial that sells computer parts. They had some GeForce card - a mere $38 bucks - with 1 GB of RAM on it. I would have to find my own drivers. The sales man rattled off the name of some software that *might* work, and then told me I would have 15 days to return it.

Is 256 MB really enough? I don't do intense gaming. Just normal stuff. But 256 just doesn't sound like a whole lot to work with. Should I look to add an extra card, upgrade the one I have, or just leave things as they are? I could really use a good, knowledgeable opinion on this.

Oh, and FWIW... the salesman did at least know enough to tell me that I wouldn't be able to boot from the card he was trying to sell me. Actually, I sort of took that for granted, but at least he knew *that* much.......