Thread: Difference between Macbook and MacBook Air

Default Difference between Macbook and MacBook Air

Okay, I've had my iPad four months and never used it... knew it. I can't physically.

I want/need a real computer with USB or FW. I thought a used older Macbook the step below Pro. I see one coming but are there old ones? Not in refurb store.

All I see is that MacBook Air. There is a difference right?

They stopped making the MacBook and then just lately they reintroduced it of late. Now it's similar to the MB Air. Flash drives, thin 12" screen. The other thing is that most of the refurb models have Thunderbolt, USB3, no FW but you can get an adaptor. The new MacBooks have USB3.1, backwards compatible with 3, 2 and Thunderbolt.

I think RAM and Storage are something I'd think about as a priority. Not sure you can add anything to the new models.There are lots of referbs to choose from these days.

Kris' Air has been a good little Mac. Pretty much no problems, and enough HP for most tasks. Good battery life. They are not really upgradeable though.

The new MacBook is much thinner, lighter, and less horsepower. Only 1 port so you need dongles for all your existing accessories.

Default Thanks, fella's

Okay I'm on the right track. The new ones look sweet. My needs a very minimal I won't need much horsepower. It's really just a fancy arsed address book, music player and a few photos to show people.

There is one MacBook Pro 15" with FW800 as Referb, but it has a 5400 RPM hard drive. Big, weighty. With an air you can get a TB to FW adaptor cable and still use the Burley.

My TB to FW adapter on my iMac works fine.

Sounds as if a MacAir or MacBook would work fine.

Default Ideas, ideas

I can buy a faster MacBookPro with SSD storage cheaper than a MacBook or MacAir.

Or from my comparison it sure seems. The MacBookPro would defiantly be a better choice I think?

Any thoughts, comments pro or con... This is nothing I'm doing soon but by year end maybe.

I like and use a little keyboard and the idea of trading off my faster iMac for a smaller yet portable computer makes some sense. I'd need or want a 24" or larger external monitor for said smaller computer also...

IF you are carrying the thing around, the Air is lighter, the Pro Cheaper and maybe faster. I like the idea of a big monitor to plug into. Still have to think about the RAM thing.

Question Ram

I'd love 12 or 16GB but know 8GB will work and looking around most will have 8 so another reason to go with a BTO MacBookPro over the others...