Thread: Drive prep questions for a guru:

Question Drive prep questions for a guru:

1.) Ever since I first became a MacGurus' customer, I've taken their advice and do a secure erase in Disk Utility (1 pass of zeros) to every new drive I buy before putting them to work. Is this still necessary? I'm waiting on a 10-hour write for a new 6TB volume right now...

2.) I can't figure out why some of my drives are seen by Disk Utility as "Logical Volume Groups" and others are simple "External SATA disk" or "External SCSI disk." As far as I can tell, I initialized all these drives the exact same way. This is all JBOD, of course.

I myself don't zero out. I only use 1 drive and very simple backup. No multiple drives or JBOD... I don't know if others do or not.

I do recall this as being more of a way to give a new drive a good stress test so to say to be sure it was good. It also came in handy at times to test/stress a potential dyeing drive.

"External SATA disk" or "External SCSI disk."
    I'll leave this for someone that can provide technical input. I don't think it really matters. Well see what others say.

Logical Volume Group is a bug in Disk Utility. Usually requires a dip into Terminal to delete said Logical Volume Group to use the drive again. Only happens with big drive and erase, doesn't happen when you use Partition, even if you only give it a single partition.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

In Terminal, enter 'diskutil cs listí

You should see the logical volume groups listed on the afore mentioned drives that you cannot format. You can take their LONG ID number and use it to delete the logical volume group

example:

diskutil cs delete 2011994C-9C0A-4E4D-B293-C25FE75ED89F
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin