Thread: Bluetooth on my Mac Pro Tower Keeps Turning Off

Default Bluetooth on my Mac Pro Tower Keeps Turning Off

My Mac Pro Tower's Bluetooth has suddenly begun to turn off randomly, rendering my wireless mouse useless. I know how to reset the SMC by turning off computer, unplugging, plugging back in, and restarting it. That is a temporary fix, but then the bluetooth keeps turning off. I don't want to keep turning my computer off and on each time this happens. I am going to get a USB mouse, but until then I'd like some insight into why this is happening and how to fix it. I'm running OS 10.9.5 on a mid 2010 Quad-Core Mac Pro.
    Thanks

Is it the blue tooth turning off? Do you go back into the system preferences and turn it back on? Have you checked the batteries in the mouse? What kind of mouse is it?

I might consider reseating the power and antenna connections to the BT module.

Also, as I post in my sig file, I use a Logitech Laser mouse. They have USB dongles that connect to your mouse wirelessly. I dearly love my Anywhere Mouse. Incredible precision and programability in a smaller size mouse. Everyone in the office has them now.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

yeungfeng: No, it is not the mouse. The problem is with the MP bluetooth turning off.

ricks: Does the Anywhere Mouse allow for the same multi-touch functions as the Magic Mouse? I LOVE the ability to switch screens and scroll using my fingers on the Magic Mouse.

Thanks for the feedback. It is always appreciated.

Verify you have tried all this (and Rick's suggestion) before you throw in the towel.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Bluetooth Going Offline

unclemac: thanks for the link, but those problems/solutions deal with either the bluetooth being on and not connecting to the mouse/keyboard or to the bluetooth being off and how to turn it back on. In my case, the bluetooth goes offline completely from the MP. The only solution that link gives me is to turn my mac on and off. But I'd be doing that 2 or 3 times a day. That doesn't feel like a solution to me.

So I went and bought a Logitech mouse with a USB dongle. Now, when the bluetooth goes offline I can use the Logitech mouse. With this in place, when I use the Logitech mouse to try and turn bluetooth back on I am unable to. It is completely inaccessible. But eventually, without turning the computer off and on again, the bluetooth comes back online.

ricks: how do I "reseat the power and antenna connections to the BT modules"?

Unplug and replug its connections. Here's an install guide that shows where it is and what it looks like.

You can probably buy a replacement from someone like www.galaxyhp.com. David can help you figure out the right part number and probably get one shipped to you. Swap it out, back in business.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

ricks: Great!! Thank you. Problem solved.