Thread: MacBook Pro hard drive passing away

Default MacBook Pro hard drive passing away

Had some problems loading small programs onto MacBook Pro, couldn't solve it, so thought I'd reinstall OSX just to make sure...

And OSX wouldn't load.

Just got the message 'cannot load Mac OS X on this machine', repeatedly.

Copied the hard drive (which still worked), wiped it, no progress.

Tried zero-erasing it, no progress.

The copy I'd made onto an external is bootable, and I can still boot the MacBook from the external. The newly formatted internal hard drive is still there, you can write to it, read from it, etc., and no errors were shown on Disk Utility. Oh, I also ran Disk Warrior, again with no success.

But try as I might, (and I tried two different OS X 10.6. installation CDs), still no go.

The MacBook is 2010, and googling around there seem to have been some tales about failing hard drives.

Does it sound as if I've got a failing hard drive? I don't mind buying another machine, as long as I'm not missing something obvious!

This MacBook was a year old when we bought it refurbished and it's only worked out at about $6 per week, so no complaints.

But is it time to buy?

A

Laptop drives are not really designed to last 5 years. Easy enough to swap another one in there.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Have to agree. Would swap the HD out just on principle. Anything more than about 3-4 years I tend to not trust.....and Apple OEM drives are rarely speed demons when new and fresh.

Between getting more space, better performance, and lower risk of failure/data loss, I always vote to upgrade HDs or even consider SSDs in portables.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks, fellows.

Not competent myself, but there are plenty of Mac repairers in London, so I'll report back in a day or two. It'll certainly be cheaper than buying a new machine.

A

Well, I've chosen a firm which looks fine, professional, etc., and they quoted as follows:

Our estimated price for Hard Drive replacement for your laptop is 99 for 500GB, 110 for 1TB and 149 for 1TB Hybrid Drive (hybrid drives are 60% faster than traditional hard drives) . This price includes parts, labour charge for HDD and OS reinstallation, vat and 3 month warranty.

That's about $150 for the cheapest, $225 for the Hybrid - I've gone for the top one on the basis that it's probably only going to get done once!

I'm sure it'd be a lot cheaper doing it myself, but then I wouldn't get a 3 month warranty on my own work.

A

In dollars the Hybrid drive itself is worth about $110. Labor, say, an hour, maybe hour and a half. Warranty and support does cost, so have to factor that into price.

I have been running a 1TB Seagate Hybrid in my MBP for the last year. It has been fine. Don't actually see it being 60% faster, but maybe that's me and I am hard to please.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Well, job done, and no, probably not 60% faster, but faster.

And of course you were right about how easy the job was. They got it at 11.00, and emailed me at 12.15 to say it was ready. And that included cleaning the scruffy keyboard...

Next time, maybe I'll try some DIY.

Cheers all.

A

Love the happy endings.

"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    Love the happy endings.

I know.... brings a tear to the eye, don't it.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Default lol

Tears,