Thread: I am ready for a change... trade iMac 2.9 quad-core want i5 13" MacBookPro

Default I am ready for a change... trade iMac 2.9 quad-core want i5 13" MacBookPro

I have my late 2012 21.5" 2.9Ghz quad-core i5 with 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion drive and I love it. But what would work better for me is a smaller 13" MacBookPro about a 2.5Ghz/2.7 dual-core i5 or better if can figure it out.

I hate and don't/can't use my iPad. I want to put a laptop in a dock connected to my FW, USB and I'll get a bigger say 24" monitor.

When I am tasking the iMac it still is 75/80 percent idle. I use 4 to 6GB RAM

I'll miss the fast fusion drive but with pciflash a 256GB would work as my current drive only has about 150GB total data/OS.

I don't need portability often but a laptop in a dock sounds sweet. I'd enjoy a bigger screen.

I've searched Apple refurbish, have an older quote from Power Max on my iMac... They each sell about same price. I could just sell my iMac and buy a refurbished from Apple.

Any iders, thoughts, trade offers... thanks

Just wondering if a folding keyboard and some assistance in managing the ipad would help? Laurie uses an ipad every day and has a really neat folding keyboard that holds the ipad up as well.

I use a 15 inch MBP when I am out of the office. Never tried to get along on the iPad. The MBP is just a small Mac and runs like I expect it to.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Just wondering if a folding keyboard and some assistance in managing the iPad would help? Laurie uses an iPad every day and has a really neat folding keyboard that holds the iPad up as well.

I use a 15 inch MBP when I am out of the office. Never tried to get along on the iPad. The MBP is just a small Mac and runs like I expect update to.

Rick
    Rick, I want a real computer. I know how to work/control them and I can't really use the touch screen. Dry fingers? I can with a xxxx but have difficulty hanging onto one for any great length.

I've fought with my iPad I bought last December long enough. I really feel a decent smaller laptop work work best. I am familiar with the various keyboards to use with the iPad ... maybe I should give one a try but then I'm back to the screen touch which I can' do.

I'll keep thinking.

You will love anything running i5 with 8GB. Be sure to either get solid state, or upgrade to an SSD. Makes all the difference over a 2.5 HD.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin