Thread: Display Preferences

Default Display Preferences

Seems with Yosemite there are fewer options for a 27" iMac. Is there any way to obtain more options in the display preference panel?

Any ideas out there? Thanks!

Question I don't know...

I wish I had a 27" iMac to test that issue out...

I have quickly got used to my 21.5" and really wish I'd of bought a 27" iMac... although this meets all of my needs. I have no real need for more space it's a want not a need.

/System/Library/Displays/Overrides/ contains the .plist files with the resolution options OSX uses for displays. Perhaps you can copy from your old system to the new? My 27" iMac has no issues though as all the same selections are there same as Snow Leopard plus a bunch of new ones, as far as I can tell. Looks like there are new folders in /System/Library/Displays/ that Snow Leopard doesn't have though no idea what they are.

When you go deep into those folders I do believe the one listing models is where the resolutions exist. But from there I am at a total loss as to what I would do next.

I kind of miss the old days when you could just click and drag stuff around or use a Apple program to access the Finder to change things. I always harken back to OS6 for some reason. Simpler I guess.

Maybe I can wander in to the Apple Store and ask a Genius one day. Thanks!

Default The Answer

Well it didn't even take a genius.

In Yosemite when you go to display preferences the resolution has "Best for display" & "Scaled". With Best selected, hold down the option key and go to Scaled. Boom, Bob's your Uncle.

Apple being nanny again. Don't want to confuse the rubes, so they hide all the good stuff.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

yeah, the 'opt' key is your best friend. Note that in Display preference pane holding 'opt' makes the 'Detect Displays' button appear.

Hold, 'opt' while clicking on the menu bar icons, e.g. Volume, Wifi, Bluetooth, and you'll see a bunch of additional info and options. The opt-Volume icon I like since it gives a quick way to connecting to different output sources.

Great tip on the volume control. Passed that on to everyone since we all switch around.

Thanks!

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

There seems no end to all the changes they create. I'm mean advances, that's it advances. Seems Apple needs to develop a searchable data base for Yosemite. Then instead of just mucking about trying to figure out what and how to do something in the OS, you could search it on line. Oh well, it's good to know the option key still has use. And it is good to have more options.